Israel in IT
Umberto
2008-11-30 11:18:02 UTC
As my mother tongues is not the english language maybe I am going to ask
something completely trivial and/or silly:
anyway, given the link between the story narrated into The Lamb Lies
Down on Broadway album and the New Testament, is it possible that when
Peter writes in "It"

"It is Real. It is Rael"

then he mean "is+Rael" = Israel?

And given that this is (almost) the very last verse of the song, isn't
it a clear reference to the last verse of Supper's ready, where
Jerusalem (capital of Israel) is the last word of the song?

Just a guess...
Mark Rae
2008-11-30 12:53:58 UTC
Anyway,
Chuckle...
given the link between the story narrated into The Lamb Lies Down on
Broadway album and the New Testament
Link? What link? Is New York meant to represent Palestine? Are the Lamia
meant to represent the serpent in the garden of Eden? Ah, no - that's Old
Testament... Maybe the four apostles represent Rael's four limbs, or
something?
Is it possible that when Peter writes in "It"
"It is Real. It is Rael"
then he mean "is+Rael" = Israel?
But if you spell Rael backwards you get "Lear" - is that an obscure
reference to King? Or Edward?

Hold on, though... If you take the line "The trucker's eyes read overload",
in the middle is the word "Dover". Maybe that's a reference to the white
cliffs? Maybe the Lamb's all about World War II? And Peter's first recording
after leaving Genesis was his version of Strawberry Fields Forever on the
album "All This and World War II". Oh my God! It all fits into place!!!
There's the answer right there. The Lamb is clearly all about the second
world war, five years before Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Amazing! And since
Selling England is clearly an allegory of post-war Britain, that means that
those two albums are the wrong way round, agriculturally speaking...
And given that this is (almost) the very last verse of the song, isn't it
a clear reference to the last verse of Supper's ready, where Jerusalem
(capital of Israel) is the last word of the song?
Aha! Do you think that's what "(To be continued...)" at the end of the
printed lyrics means? So, what's for supper? It's scrambled eggs. Oh no!
Wrong album! Oh well...

You've obviously been reading "The Annotated Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
which, while moderately interesting, is little more than one person's
attempt to find meaning where more often than not there is none. It's just a
story out of Peter's imagination - it doesn't necessarily have to mean
anything...
Man
2008-12-02 00:00:57 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Anyway,
Chuckle...
[...]
If you look at peter's solo career, it looks like one long session of
self-psychoanalysis, so maybe there's some
elements of peter's psyche in amongst the lyrics from Lamb? Who's to say? I
bet Freud could find a few cigars
there? Just another tuppence thrown in...
Mark Rae
2008-12-02 00:31:34 UTC
I bet Freud could find a few cigars there?
And what if he couldn't...? Would that make it not quite so good? Would you
have to stop listening to it...?
Man
2008-12-03 23:27:03 UTC
Who said anything about stopping listening to anything?
I just commented on the fertile ground of peter gabriel's psyche... It's not
like I'm making a value judgment of the music or the lyrics...
Covenant
2008-12-02 21:40:54 UTC
Post by Man
Post by Mark Rae
Anyway,
Chuckle...
[...]
Umm....
"Doktor Daiper, reformed sniper, he'll whip off your windscreen wiper...."
"Don't delay - dock the dick..."
"He places the number into a tube..."
"I pray my undercarriage will sustain..."

I don't think Freud would have to look TOO hard !

;' )
--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much In His Hands
Man
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-12-03 18:25:54 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Anyway,
Chuckle...
[...]
This tyoe of sarcasm gets noted, and no, you think think there will be
no repercussions, yet its is exactly YOUR tyoe: Natural Born Sadists,
IE, those who take mental and sexual pleasure from the pain of
others. At the same time , I am not a WWJD (what woudl jesus do?) man
- I am a wwiditwj man - meaning: What woudl I do if that were Jesus.
For my 1/2 penny, let me assert: you, yeah YOU might be Christ, and
your post is merely a pop quiz, a disguiso test. I always figured: If
Jesus wanted to know my true nature, would he judge it on the way
someone kissed my ass or the way I treated a sarcastic man who is
deeply rooted in literal deterministic atheism.

God be with you or not - best of luck to you and your sarcastic anger.

/Ian Andrew Schneider/
Chuck
2008-11-30 17:37:44 UTC
On Nov 30, 3:18�am, Umberto <***@no.com> wrote:

I think you are stretching the imagination a bit. I thought there was
a slight possibility that Rael was a take off of GabRael (Gabriel).
I'm sure if asked, PG would just chuckle and deny it.
CB
Sal Video
I think Peter just misspelled Raul which is a proper Puerto Rican name.
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-12-03 18:38:35 UTC
Post by Sal Video
Post by Chuck
I think you are stretching the imagination a bit. I thought there was
a slight possibility that Rael was a take off of GabRael (Gabriel).
I'm sure if asked, PG would just chuckle and deny it.
CB
I think Peter just misspelled Raul which is a proper Puerto Rican name.
most very highly unlikely. Again, I've prayed with the jews, the
Peurto Rican Roman catholics and been composer in residence at the
Episcopal Church of the heavenly rest (http://www.heavenlyrets.org),
200-2001, and a pianist there 1997-2001. Which church is that: the
one in which Charleze Theron is naked in the pew directly in front of
the pulpit, a controversy at the time, but as we all passed the doors
during the Keanu/Theron scene filmed by Taylor Hackford for its (then)
ethereal beauty, which was ruined when Reverend [REDACTED] and his
tools [REDACTED] on the Vestry decided to absolutely destroy the
sublime awesome nature of the space by hanging 2 million dollars worth
of tacky lights from metal ropes which look lke chain links. I'll go
back, but Ileft in such a rage that I told reverend redacted a few
things that I wish I'd never said, as he is the same man who gave me
that GREAT church composer role in the first place, and my insults
were so vile I do not know if, ok, reverend james L Burns would ever
forgive me.

carl Bernstein knows the church as teh church of the overly dressed,
as we all do. Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Collins were in pews close
enough for the peace. Cyrus vance shook my hand like he knew me all
my life, though I'd never net him - 5 weeks later he died of
Alzheimer's, which explains that! But there are some amazingly
fantastic people there, such aas Deacon Boynton and otehrs who would
rathernot be metioned here.

So dismiss it. Dismiss the spirit world - it's your choice. God
luck.

/ias/
Man

/ias/
Mark Rae
2008-12-03 23:57:52 UTC
Post by Man
Okay, I'm lost now... What does this have to do with the lyrics of the
Genesis album "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"? And what's up with the
namedropping?
Ian Schneider has a long history of severe mental illness and, periodically,
reappears on usenet claiming that he is "cured" - the content of his posts,
however, would suggest otherwise...

He's usually around for a few months at a time - more to be pitied than
scolded...
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-12-05 17:30:03 UTC
On Dec 3, 6:57 pm, "Mark Rae" <***@mark.com> wrote:
I love you too.
Are you one of the envious people that is angry that I'm better than
you? (that was rhetorical).
Google "tempo+genesis". Or "speed+Air tonight"
Funny what happens when you back up what you say.
Manic depression is NEVER cured.
I could go on but your use of judgmental multi-syllabic
adjectives,sorry to tell you, made you expose your [REDACTED].

Sue Townsend
scolded...
Godolphin&fellow
2008-12-01 20:24:24 UTC
Post by Umberto
As my mother tongues is not the english language maybe I am going to ask
anyway, given the link between the story narrated into The Lamb Lies
Down on Broadway album and the New Testament, is it possible that when
Peter writes in "It"
"It is Real. It is Rael"
then he mean "is+Rael" = Israel?
I think clearly Gabriel was quite aware when he sang 'It is Rael' he
was creating a reference to Israel. _It_ after all is all about
perceptions of connectedness, or actual connections. And Israel has
large and various meanings. When your eyes are opened you will see
these things .... as they are... that's what _It_ is about. - I like it
Ian Andrew Schneider

Me
2008-12-01 21:00:19 UTC
Post by Umberto
As my mother tongues is not the english language maybe I am going to ask
anyway, given the link between the story narrated into The Lamb Lies
Down on Broadway album and the New Testament, is it possible that when
Peter writes in "It"
"It is Real. It is Rael"
then he mean "is+Rael" = Israel?
And given that this is (almost) the very last verse of the song, isn't
it a clear reference to the last verse of Supper's ready, where
Jerusalem (capital of Israel) is the last word of the song?
Just a guess...
By transposing the letters of "It is real", you get the command, "Sit
liar". Of course, the "e" is dropped because it is the most used
letter in the English language, so who's going to care anyway?

Around this time, Peter had a dog named "Liar" and this was his secret
message to the pooch telling him to "sit".

It's plain, simple and obvious.
Covenant
2008-12-01 21:12:32 UTC
Post by Me
By transposing the letters of "It is real", you get the command, "Sit
liar". Of course, the "e" is dropped because it is the most used
letter in the English language, so who's going to care anyway?
Around this time, Peter had a dog named "Liar" and this was his secret
message to the pooch telling him to "sit".
It's plain, simple and obvious.
Now that is just ludicrous...

The actual story is that, unknown to most, (Except maybe Mark), Peter was
going through a phase of acting in a puerile manner when it came to nornal
decorous behaviour.

As is well documented, the rest of the group were a little at odds with the
entire content of the Lamb.
But what is less known is that the idea for the Slipperman came from Peter's
HORRENDOUS flatulance at the time...

But what topped it all for the band (and actually led to Pete's departure)
was his habit of setting FIRE to those enormous farts!
You see, the guys were already SO pissed off at when he slipped the line
"Can't you feel arseholes ignite" during Supper's Ready... that they were
not going to let him do the same to the Lamb, and FORCED him to re-write
the last line...

...Which is why he used the anagram of "It Is Rael!"... for the TRUE last
line.. "I Lit Arse!" ...

It IS, It's TRUE !!!!
--
Covenant
A Man With, As Has Again Been Proven, Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Mark Rae
2008-12-01 21:27:07 UTC
Post by Covenant
But what topped it all for the band (and actually led to Pete's departure)
was his habit of setting FIRE to those enormous farts!
You see, the guys were already SO pissed off at when he slipped the line
"Can't you feel arseholes ignite" during Supper's Ready... that they were
not going to let him do the same to the Lamb, and FORCED him to re-write
the last line...
Correct.

A similar phenomenon can be heard at the end of the studio version of Los
Endos where Phil sings:

"Desert angel standing in the sun
Three to get my comb"

The first line symbolises the fact that Gabriel has left (the angel has
deserted) and gone solo (standing in the sun).

The second line symbolises the fact that they'd soon be a three-piece, and
that Phil would go bald...

A blast from the past.

Or something.
Mark Rae
2008-12-01 21:21:28 UTC
Post by Me
By transposing the letters of "It is real", you get the command, "Sit
liar". Of course, the "e" is dropped because it is the most used
letter in the English language, so who's going to care anyway?
Around this time, Peter had a dog named "Liar" and this was his secret
message to the pooch telling him to "sit".
It's plain, simple and obvious.
Oh, you're *such* a shallow thinker!!!

You were on the right track with anagrams, but the true anagram of "It is
real" is "listeria".

What's even scarier is that "listeria" is also an anagram of "It is Rael" -
didn't you spot it...?

It's all about monocytogenes - what on earth were you thinking...!

But hold on..."Listeria" sounds almost like "wisteria", and wisteria is a
flower. A flower? Oh my God!
Newsgroups
2008-12-02 03:09:59 UTC
Wysterical.
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-12-03 18:19:12 UTC
Post by Umberto
As my mother tongues is not the english language maybe I am going to ask
anyway, given the link between the story narrated into The Lamb Lies
Down on Broadway album and the New Testament, is it possible that when
Peter writes in "It"
"It is Real. It is Rael"
then he mean "is+Rael" = Israel?
And given that this is (almost) the very last verse of the song, isn't
it a clear reference to the last verse of Supper's ready, where
Jerusalem (capital of Israel) is the last word of the song?
Just a guess...
I thought I'd thought of every variation - but this rings VERY true.

I am a rare, with nothong to brag about, Bar Mitvahed Episcopalian
priest who is also a lawyer, and like Pete, do not discuss my manic
depression in public anymore (except here, where any Genesis fan on
these boards knows of my pre-"finding his right meds" days where my
writing could be brutally exacting....Linda darling and Sue Town are
still cursing me.

manic depression in its real (no wordplay there) means at leats one
complete psychotic break with reality. Mine came for an 18 day period
beginning on the morning of September 11, *1990* - where I saw, in a
vision that was realer than real (no wordplay) two arab planes bombing
lower manhattan. I had lived at the time at 38th and Park, about 4
1/2 miles from the site of teh bombing exactly, to the minute, eleven
years later. Anyone not believing me has my permission to scour the
records at the MOUNT SINAI HOSPITAL for that night, where the [vision]
was repeated to at leats 3 attending doctors. Eleven years later, the
same happened except:
1) I had seen nuclear bombs on the plabe;
2) I felt and saw the nuclear bombs go off exactly where the 9/11/01
bombs went off as simple mechanical fuel - so thank God I was "wrong"
there;
3) I had complete prophesy, which I get from time to time, and can be
verified by many people who I have shocked, and in fact shcked myself
for that which i see is not "called on" nor is it consistent nor is ot
always right. Being said, I have predicted things that have left the
most atheiststic rational people IMMEDIATELY change their status to at
least 'agnostic'.
4) In my head I heard the best music I willl ever hear as I ran up
Madison Avenue, knowing the bombs were coming downtown (of course
nothing happened at all on 9/11/90) and shocked that people were going
downtown, and in my head - "as sure as eggs is eggs" - with many
substitute lines, mainly Phil singing , slowly, instead of "you, now
can't you see, he;s fooled you all!?" I head, "YOU, now can't you see,
IT'S PAYBACK TIME!" - and what I menat by that as I heard
(delusionally, in medical terms) was: all you bastards that have (not
you peopel in this chatroom - people generally) killed or inflicted
pain in the name of Jesus Christ were about to pay your bill -
5) MOST IMPORTANTLY, having simply glimpsed the post below - indeed,
Manhattan was - NO DOUBT - the New Jerusalem. After the bombs, I saw,
literally, an angek standing in the sun, and all the coveting people
were gone. As Matthew 23-25, 1/2 the people were gone, and those who
were left had heaven on earth. It was an absolutely non-drug induced
feeling of ecstasy that I knew I would (and have not) experience until
my actual death, if I had not already experienced the Rapture.

If you read in the Revelation According To St. John and its dimensions
for the Kingdom of Heaven, manhattan fits, like, EXACTLY.

This is not the greatest of things to "admit" - so said, anyone with a
decent cyber-brain can pull all these files and posts that I wrote in
1995-1997 delineating same.

To this day, I believe the Christ will come again, and I believe on a
personal note that Manhattan will be the "new Palestine" as written in
the post below.

Enough for now.

/Ian Andrew Schneider/
12/03/2008
k***@gmail.com
I think Peter Garbiel is just ducky
Mark Rae
2008-12-03 20:24:26 UTC
Post by Ian Andrew Schneider
/Ian Andrew Schneider/
12/03/2008
I think Peter Gabriel is just ducky
Oh my God! Scheider's back...
Sal Video
2008-12-03 20:48:11 UTC
I think the word is released
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-12-07 19:44:01 UTC
Sal -

Your holier-than-me comment was noted.
Funny how if you gad terminal cancer and I made the same statement,
Google would kick me out of this newsgroup.
I note how you think it is [funny, clever and brilliant] to mock manic
depressive illness.
I also note that after searching into your life, your accomplishments
are: nothing.
Absolute zero.
You know something salavatore? It is 10x easier to make a mocking
comment than a comment that adds to a discussion. TEN. Most of the
ten, as in, when one gossips: not only is a lie more likely to be
believed tan the truth. Making a true statement that adds to a
musical discussion rather than an [insult] about the fact that for 12
days in August, 2000, I was evaluated in the hospital. I was
hospitalized twice for acute mania: September 1990, August 1993.
Fifteen and a half tears of remission and decent work - transparent
work, as they say now. I used to pity people like you. No more. Are
you unemployed? Are YOU locked up somewhere? Either way, when you
resort to knowledge of a mental illness that was not exposed - I
EXPOSED IT, which killed by suicide 2 of my aunts when they were about
my age, I say: yup, that is a typical "Sal" for you. Taking up Tony
Banks comments in favor of a personal attack on someone you've never
met. I have NO DOUBT that you are a desperate loser, because only
desperate losers resort to such "jokes" to get a group to all crazy.
Ok, you were "just joking" and were in your subtle way to stay out of
your house. That makes me think: this is a loser. What have you ever
done for anyone? Do you feel like you are more sexually attractive
after your Don Rickles bit.
Lemme tell ya something: it is SO EASY to criticize and SO DIFFICULT
to add a positive comment that more the discussion of this "LOW
ACTIVITY" group. I you want m to continue my self-imposed silence, so
state - don't go all George Insanity Bush on me - a weak man propping
himself on the mentally ill. Are you in a wheelchair dude? No? You
get regular sex? No? Ah - that would explain your attempted an
Navrotilova/Biily Crystal/Ellen/Rosie/Lindsay Lohan bitch slap
comment.

"You -
now can't you see?
He's fooled you all?"