Three most under-rated Genesis songs(?)
Chuck
2009-01-23 13:58:16 UTC
1. Can Utility and the Coastliners - Incredible little song with all
five classic members shining. Always wished it was on Seconds Out (or
Live)
2. Fountain of Salmacis - They did revisit this in 1978, but it is a
great song. (Also would have been great on an official live album)
3. Entangled - It was between this and something from Trespass.
(Perhaps Stagnation) Also considered ' Ripples' but they have visited
that one quite a bit, including most recent tour, so "underrated" may
not apply.
CB
Mark Rae
2009-01-23 14:18:57 UTC
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Sides-Live-Genesis/dp/B000024EXZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232720266&sr=8-1

Disk 2, Track 5
Chuck
2009-01-24 12:28:14 UTC
Post by Chuck
2. Fountain of Salmacis - They did revisit this in 1978, but it is a
great song. (Also would have been great on an official live album)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Sides-Live-Genesis/dp/B000024EXZ/ref=sr...
Disk 2, Track 5
I thought it might be on "side 4" of the newer 3 sides live. I'm not a
big fan post ATTWT so not an expert in that arena. thnx.
CB
Newsgroups
2009-01-24 15:56:45 UTC
Post by Chuck
2. Fountain of Salmacis - They did revisit this in 1978, but it is a
great song. (Also would have been great on an official live album)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Sides-Live-Genesis/dp/B000024EXZ/ref=sr...
Disk 2, Track 5
I thought it might be on "side 4" of the newer 3 sides live. I'm not a0
big fan post ATTWT so not an expert in that arena. thnx.
CB
I'm still trying to get my mind around the idea of a song's inclusion on a
live album as a criterion for how under- or over-rated it might be.

Jim
Chuck
2009-01-24 23:18:16 UTC
Post by Newsgroups
I'm still trying to get my mind around the idea of a song's inclusion on a
live album as a criterion for how under- or over-rated it might be.
Jim
Perhaps its more along the lines of them playing or not playing a song
live that often, verses it making it to a "live album". The fact that
Genesis never played a great song lke Can Utility, to my knowledge,
after the Foxtrot tour rings of "underrated' to me.
CB
Paul Westcott
2009-01-25 00:37:34 UTC
Post by Chuck
Post by Newsgroups
I'm still trying to get my mind around the idea of a song's inclusion on a
live album as a criterion for how under- or over-rated it might be.
Perhaps its more along the lines of them playing or not playing a song
live that often, verses it making it to a "live album". The fact that
Genesis never played a great song lke Can Utility, to my knowledge,
after the Foxtrot tour rings of "underrated' to me.
As I think someone else has suggested, it is much more sensible to
describe tracks such as "Can Utility ..." as being "underplayed" (i.e.
by the group) rather then "underrated".

Paul Westcott
raven1
2009-01-24 01:11:02 UTC
Post by Chuck
1. Can Utility and the Coastliners - Incredible little song with all
five classic members shining. Always wished it was on Seconds Out (or
Live)
2. Fountain of Salmacis - They did revisit this in 1978, but it is a
great song. (Also would have been great on an official live album)
3. Entangled - It was between this and something from Trespass.
(Perhaps Stagnation) Also considered ' Ripples' but they have visited
that one quite a bit, including most recent tour, so "underrated" may
not apply.
1) "Time Table"- I've always thought the song is absolutely beautiful;
apparently the band doesn't agree, and have never played it in
concert.

2) "Harold the Barrel" - as close to pure fun as Genesis ever got with
Gabriel musically (despite the morbid subject matter), it was only
played live a couple of times.

3) "Supper's Ready" - well, no, it isn't underrated by fans, or the
band, but there's no reason it shouldn't top "Stairway to Heaven" on
every radio station countdown of "classic rock" songs, so it's
underrated in general.
j***@hotmail.com
2009-01-24 02:38:07 UTC
Post by raven1
3) "Supper's Ready" - well, no, it isn't underrated by fans, or the
band, but there's no reason it shouldn't top "Stairway to Heaven" on
every radio station countdown of "classic rock" songs
Yes there is -- because "Stairway" accomplishes just about everything
"Supper's Ready" aspires to do in less than 1/3 of the time.
raven1
2009-01-24 16:06:44 UTC
Post by j***@hotmail.com
Post by raven1
3) "Supper's Ready" - well, no, it isn't underrated by fans, or the
band, but there's no reason it shouldn't top "Stairway to Heaven" on
every radio station countdown of "classic rock" songs
Yes there is -- because "Stairway" accomplishes just about everything
"Supper's Ready" aspires to do in less than 1/3 of the time.
I haven't seen any "No Supper's Ready" signs on the wall of music
stores lately.
Newsgroups
2009-01-24 16:27:28 UTC
Post by raven1
Post by j***@hotmail.com
Post by raven1
3) "Supper's Ready" - well, no, it isn't underrated by fans, or the
band, but there's no reason it shouldn't top "Stairway to Heaven" on
every radio station countdown of "classic rock" songs
Yes there is -- because "Stairway" accomplishes just about everything
"Supper's Ready" aspires to do in less than 1/3 of the time.
I haven't seen any "No Supper's Ready" signs on the wall of music
stores lately.
Exactly. Nobody plays it, so music store clerks can't get sick of it.

But I disagree with the notion that there's no reason it shouldn't top
Stairway to Heaven on a radio countdown. There are lots of reasons, having
nothing to do with which one is better. Or more classic.

This is a ridiculous discussion.

Jim
j***@hotmail.com
2009-01-24 17:01:16 UTC
Post by raven1
Post by j***@hotmail.com
Post by raven1
3) "Supper's Ready" - well, no, it isn't underrated by fans, or the
band, but there's no reason it shouldn't top "Stairway to Heaven" on
every radio station countdown of "classic rock" songs
Yes there is -- because "Stairway" accomplishes just about everything
"Supper's Ready" aspires to do in less than 1/3 of the time.
I haven't seen any "No Supper's Ready" signs on the wall of music
stores lately.
Exactly.  Nobody plays it, so music store clerks can't get sick of it.
But I disagree with the notion that there's no reason it shouldn't top
Stairway to Heaven on a radio countdown.  There are lots of reasons, having
nothing to do with which one is better.  Or more classic.
This is a ridiculous discussion.
Jim
SR is too long to really count as a "rock" song in the conventional
sense. The only over-ten-minute song I've ever heard on a "Best Rock
& Roll Songs of All Time" radio countdown is the absolutely ridiculous
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
Tim Hattrell

Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
raven1
2009-01-25 01:42:09 UTC
Post by j***@hotmail.com
Post by raven1
Post by j***@hotmail.com
Post by raven1
[...]
"Achilles' Last Stand" by Led Zeppelin is over 10 minutes, and
regularly makes its way onto such countdowns. "Kashmir" is close to 10
minutes, and is usually in the top 20..
Chuck
2009-01-25 14:05:34 UTC
Post by raven1
"Achilles' Last Stand" by Led Zeppelin is over 10 minutes, and
regularly makes its way onto such countdowns. "Kashmir" is close to 10
minutes, and is usually in the top 20..- Hide quoted text -
'And You and I' by Yes has appeared at times. Having said that, 10
minutes and change is a far cry from19-21 minutes (depending on the
version). Especially with the mellow parts of 'SR'. It still is quite
esoteric. Walk up to 99.7% of the general populace and ask what
"Suppers Ready" means............. 84.9% will say "time to eat". Yes,
I've done the research to verify that! ;-)
CB
raven1
67.3% of all statistics are made up! ;-)
Newsgroups
2009-01-25 19:12:59 UTC
Post by raven1
Post by Chuck
Post by raven1
"Achilles' Last Stand" by Led Zeppelin is over 10 minutes, and
regularly makes its way onto such countdowns. "Kashmir" is close to 10
minutes, and is usually in the top 20..- Hide quoted text -
'And You and I' by Yes has appeared at times. Having said that, 10
minutes and change is a far cry from19-21 minutes (depending on the
version). Especially with the mellow parts of 'SR'. It still is quite
esoteric. Walk up to 99.7% of the general populace and ask what
"Suppers Ready" means............. 84.9% will say "time to eat". Yes,
I've done the research to verify that! ;-)
67.3% of all statistics are made up! ;-)
+/- 1.3% at the 98% confidence level.

Jim
N Y
2009-01-26 01:03:13 UTC
There are lots & lots of "underrated" Genesis songs, but if I can only
pick three:

1. In The Beginning
We may as well consider the entire "From Genesis To Revelation" album as
underrated (heck, the album wasn't even included in the Gabriel-era box
set), but this catchy little rocker about the beginning of creation
(heavy concept, man!) totally kicks ass, IMHO. Even though the band
still had plenty of room for growth at this point, they still came up
with a really groovy tune (and there's none of Jonathan King's strings
or horn section on it, either!).

2. Let Us Now Make Love
Before I even heard it, I read the cheesy song title and I thought, "I
don't know about this one....". Then I heard it---this song is gorgeous!
That beautiful melody, Peter's passionate singing, the band's passionate
playing and backing vocals....pure heaven. Even the late great Nick
Drake was said to have really liked this song when he heard the band
play it live all those years ago, bless his soul. Granted, the lyrics
sound like they could use a little bit of touching up---too much usage
of "She stoops to soothe his aching brow"---but it's still a beautiful
song.

3. The Lady Lies
I gotta include a Phil-era song, so here's my pick. I've always loved
this song, and it's my favorite track off "And Then There Were Three."
Tony's great storytelling lyrics, the song's powerful chords and melody,
Phil's smooth-sounding vocals, and that kick-ass instrumental bridge and
finale---simply awesome. Why this Genesis song doesn't get more
recognition is beyond me. Maybe it was overshadowed by the song that
comes after it, "Follow You Follow Me." Yeah, maybe that's the
reason....

NY
j***@hotmail.com
2009-01-26 02:03:08 UTC
Post by N Y
There are lots & lots of "underrated" Genesis songs, but if I can only
1. In The Beginning
We may as well consider the entire "From Genesis To Revelation" album as
underrated
Agreed. I really like that album, though if I had to pick a favorite
on it, it would be The Serpent.
Post by N Y
2. Let Us Now Make Love
Before I even heard it, I read the cheesy song title and I thought, "I
don't know about this one....". Then I heard it---this song is gorgeous!
That beautiful melody, Peter's passionate singing, the band's passionate
playing and backing vocals....pure heaven. Even the late great Nick
Drake was said to have really liked this song when he heard the band
play it live all those years ago, bless his soul.
Really? Never knew that about Nick Drake. Interesting.

LUNML is a great tune. I always wondered if Genesis had ever
considered releasing Shepherd, Pacidy and LUMNL as an EP between FGTR
and Trespass.
Post by N Y
3. The Lady Lies
I gotta include a Phil-era song, so here's my pick. I've always loved
this song, and it's my favorite track off "And Then There Were Three."
Mine too. The outro is possibly my favorite of any Genesis song...one
of the rare times when Tony loosens up his usual stiffness and tries
to improvise a little.

Not sure if it's underrated though, as it was a common feature of both
the ATTW3 and Duke tours.
Newsgroups
2009-01-26 05:14:58 UTC
Post by j***@hotmail.com
Not sure if it's underrated though, as it was a common feature of both
the ATTW3 and Duke tours.
There we go with that again. Who's rating are we talking about, anyway?
The fans? The general public? The band?

What does "underrated" mean anyway? Almost no ones likes it, but you do, so
it's underrated? The band hates it, but the fans like it, so it's
underrated? The fans don't care for it, but the band keeps shoving it down
our throats in concerts, so they must think it's worth something, so it's
underrated? Everybody likes it, but nobody really talks about it, so it's
underrated?

I dunno, I rather like the last one. None of the others make a shred of
sense.

Past that, I think the whole concept is overrated.

Jim
Chuck
2009-01-26 11:20:33 UTC
There we go with that again. �Who's rating are we talking about, anyway?
The fans? �The general public? �The band?
What does "underrated" mean anyway? �Almost no ones likes it, but you do, so
it's underrated? �The band hates it, but the fans like it, so it's
underrated? �The fans don't care for it, but the band keeps shoving it down
our throats in concerts, so they must think it's worth something, so it's
underrated? �Everybody likes it, but nobody really talks about it, so it's
underrated?
Your taking this oh so serious is way overrated. Its music, fun
entertainment.......... and people sharing a commonality therein.
CB
Newsgroups
2009-01-26 14:45:28 UTC
Post by Chuck
Your taking this oh so serious is way overrated. Its music, fun
entertainment.......... and people sharing a commonality therein.
CB
Commonality?

Ok, I think In Hiding is underrated, but my dog likes it, so maybe it isn't.

:-)

Jim
Chuck
2009-01-26 11:18:29 UTC
Post by N Y
3. The Lady Lies
I gotta include a Phil-era song, so here's my pick. I've always loved
this song, and it's my favorite track off "And Then There Were Three."
That was on my long list. Probably the best song on ATTWT. Middle
section reminds me a bit of 'Apocalypse in 9/8'........ I know its not
in 9/8 for some of you anal specific fans. Always thought PG would
have worked with this one, perhaps donning a costume for "So glad you
could make it....."
CB
JF
2009-01-27 16:40:38 UTC
Post by Chuck
Post by N Y
3. The Lady Lies
I gotta include a Phil-era song, so here's my pick. I've always loved
this song, and it's my favorite track off "And Then There Were Three."
That was on my long list. Probably the best song on ATTWT. Middle
section reminds me a bit of 'Apocalypse in 9/8'........ Always thought PG would
have worked with this one, perhaps donning a costume for "So glad you
could make it....."
CB
Great song, probably the last of the story telling tunes that hark
back to the earlier days. I love the piano, bass, drums ending too.
Btw, does anyone know what Phil sings at the end of the song? It
sounds clearer on the 5.1 surround mix but I still can't make it out.

JF.
Mark Rae
2009-01-27 16:59:22 UTC
Post by JF
Btw, does anyone know what Phil sings at the end of the song? It
sounds clearer on the 5.1 surround mix but I still can't make it out.
I've never been able to work it out.

Similarly, what does Phil sing in the right channel in Harold the Barrel
while Peter sings "Forwards backwards swaying sided to side, fearing the
very worst"...?

It always sounded like "Playing in the drama" to me...
j***@hotmail.com
2009-01-27 17:14:33 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by JF
Btw, does anyone know what Phil sings at the end of the song? It
sounds clearer on the 5.1 surround mix but I still can't make it out.
I've never been able to work it out.
That one I couldn't tell you.
Chuck
2009-01-28 21:09:17 UTC
Post by JF
Great song, probably the last of the story telling tunes that hark
back to the earlier days. I love the piano, bass, drums ending too.
Btw, does anyone know what Phil sings at the end of the song? It
sounds clearer on the 5.1 surround mix but I still can't make it out.
JF.
"Yoooou caaaant resiiist meeee". At least thats what I always
thought and falls in line with the story.
CB
Nic

NC
raven1
2009-02-05 02:08:18 UTC
Post by Nic
Post by j***@hotmail.com
Post by raven1
Post by j***@hotmail.com
Post by raven1
[...]
Which, IIRC, lasts around 16 excruciating minutes...

Nic
2009-01-30 08:03:06 UTC
Post by raven1
3) "Supper's Ready" - well, no, it isn't underrated by fans, or the
band, but there's no reason it shouldn't top "Stairway to Heaven" on
every radio station countdown of "classic rock" songs
Yes there is -- because "Stairway" accomplishes just about everything
"Supper's Ready" aspires to do in less than 1/3 of the time.

-

Well, who WANTS to listen to Stairway anymore? It's like Freebird.

NC
j***@hotmail.com
2009-01-26 17:56:30 UTC
Post by raven1
1) "Time Table"- I've always thought the song is absolutely beautiful;
apparently the band doesn't agree, and have never played it in
concert.
I like it a lot too, especially the ending with the guitar melody and
the ascending key signatures. Some people don't like the lyrics (one
other fan interpreted the lyrics as saying, "Wouldn't life be so much
better if it was like a Dungeons & Dragons game?") but they don't
bother me. I think this song would have made a much better choice for
a single than the awkwardly-edited version of Watcher.
I love this song. Peter's absurd British humour at its best.
j***@hotmail.com
2009-01-24 02:35:53 UTC
Post by Chuck
1. Can Utility and the Coastliners - Incredible little song with all
five classic members shining. Always wished it was on Seconds Out (or
Live)
Maybe. This song is so commonly listed as "underrated" that I don't
think it really is anymore. But you still may have a point.
Post by Chuck
2. Fountain of Salmacis - They did revisit this in 1978, but it is a
great song. (Also would have been great on an official live album)
This song gets heaps of praise. Not sure why you think it's
"underrated."
Post by Chuck
3. Entangled - It was between this and something from Trespass.
(Perhaps Stagnation) Also considered ' Ripples' but they have visited
that one quite a bit, including most recent tour, so "underrated" may
not apply.
Again, a song that seems to be commonly loved by most long-term fans.

My top three most underrated (meaning, either unfairly bashed or not
praised enough, or simply not mentioned enough at all):

1. Say It's Alright Joe -- Never understood why this song gets so much
flack. Mike at his best in terms of songwriting IMO, great lyrics and
awesome stage act that Phil did for it.

2. A Trick of the Tail (the song) -- The best "pop" song that Genesis
ever did, IMO, and the closest Tony ever came to reaching the Beatles'
level of pop songcraft. I always thought this song would get more
attention if it wasn't on an album with so many other highlights.

3. Pigeons -- Most people say "Inside And Out" is the best song on
Spot The Pigeon. I prefer this one; it's much more original and
creative. Brilliant chord progression, a really fun rhythm and great
amusing lyrics.