Ignoring for a second...
Slubberdegullion
2008-11-22 18:49:18 UTC
.....all the stuff about baldrick and twatty clarkson and videos...and logos

Doesnt the SEBTP mix sound fabulous? Bloody gorgeous...

Lamb is also good...

Havent listened to the others yet...surely nothing can make the Foxtrot
mix sound better?

:)

Slub
Mark Rae
2008-11-22 23:42:32 UTC
Post by Slubberdegullion
Doesnt the SEBTP mix sound fabulous?
Yes it does, unless you're a die-hard Mellotron fan...
Post by Slubberdegullion
Lamb is also good...
As above...
radiohogweed
2008-11-23 17:37:41 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Slubberdegullion
Doesnt the SEBTP mix sound fabulous?
Yes it does, unless you're a die-hard Mellotron fan...
Woah, hold on there. I'm a die-hard mellotron fan who's about to plop
down the dosh for this box set. What did they do?
Mark Rae
2008-11-23 23:38:54 UTC
Post by radiohogweed
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Slubberdegullion
Doesnt the SEBTP mix sound fabulous?
Yes it does, unless you're a die-hard Mellotron fan...
Woah, hold on there. I'm a die-hard mellotron fan who's about to plop
down the dosh for this box set. What did they do?
Approximately half the Mellotron on boxes 1 and 2 has been dropped way down
in the mix.

Some places like Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats or the Watcher intro are
absolutely glorious because there's little or nothing else but Mellotron
anyway, but in other places e.g. the end of Grand Parade, the brass in
Willow Farm, the Lamia etc it's almost inaudible... The first time I heard
Fly on a Windshield it nearly knocked me over when it kicks in ("windshield
on the freeway.....") until I realised that the Tron strings had been almost
totally swamped by the Hammond...

This mix has allowed virtually *everything* else to be enhanced and
brightened. If you are very familiar with the original recordings, you'll
hear stuff that you've never heard before, specifically Hackett's and
Collins' parts. A great example of this is in Harold the Barrell,
specifically in the right-hand side of the stereo. In some places, it sounds
like they have used alternate takes e.g. the Reverend in TBOEF ("man of
repu-uu-uu-te").

Similar mixing can be heard on box 2 e.g. the verses of Dance on a Volcano
("Holy mother of God") where the Tron choir is almost gone...

According to the accompanying interviews, Tony was present at every remixing
session with Nick Davis, so I can only think that this is on Tony's explicit
instructions...
radiohogweed
2008-11-24 08:29:04 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Approximately half the Mellotron on boxes 1 and 2 has been dropped way down
in the mix.
. . .
According to the accompanying interviews, Tony was present at every remixing
session with Nick Davis, so I can only think that this is on Tony's explicit
instructions...
Thanks for all that info. That's profoundly dissappointing. I'm so
familiar with the originals, and so into the mellotron, that I'm not
so sure about this box set now ... enhanced and brightened is one
thing, but fundamentally changing the mix ... that could ruin it for
me. Damn, and I've been waiting for this to come out for ages.
Sal Video
Believe me you can hear plenty of mellotron. It's thundering.
Mark Rae
2008-11-24 17:53:17 UTC
Post by Sal Video
Post by radiohogweed
Thanks for all that info. That's profoundly dissappointing. I'm so
familiar with the originals, and so into the mellotron, that I'm not
so sure about this box set now ... enhanced and brightened is one
thing, but fundamentally changing the mix ... that could ruin it for
me. Damn, and I've been waiting for this to come out for ages.
Believe me you can hear plenty of mellotron. It's thundering.
Yes you can, and yes it is - I didn't say you couldn't or it wasn't...

To recap: "Approximately half the Mellotron on boxes 1 and 2 has been
dropped way down in the mix."
Steven Sullivan
2008-11-24 21:30:11 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by radiohogweed
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Slubberdegullion
[...]
Are you referring to the new stereo mixes only, or to the surround mixes?

Because the surround mixes sound pretty f*cking incredible, esp on the older
albums.
--
-S
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can
woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their life -- Leo Tolstoy
Mark Rae
2008-11-24 21:36:23 UTC
Post by Steven Sullivan
Post by Mark Rae
According to the accompanying interviews, Tony was present at every remixing
session with Nick Davis, so I can only think that this is on Tony's explicit
instructions...
Are you referring to the new stereo mixes only, or to the surround mixes?
Both.
Post by Steven Sullivan
Because the surround mixes sound pretty f*cking incredible, esp on the older
albums.
<sigh> I'm not saying that they don't sound incredible! I'm simply pointing
out that approximately half of the Mellotron tracks are buried...
Covenant
2008-11-25 01:28:31 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Steven Sullivan
Because the surround mixes sound pretty f*cking incredible, esp on the older
albums.
<sigh> I'm not saying that they don't sound incredible! I'm simply
pointing out that approximately half of the Mellotron tracks are buried...
Bloody Hell, MArk !!!
So they've mixed out the mellotrton altogether !?!?!?!

(heh!)
--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Mark Rae
2008-11-25 02:08:53 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
<sigh> I'm not saying that they don't sound incredible! I'm simply
pointing out that approximately half of the Mellotron tracks are buried...
Bloody hell, Mark !!!
So they've mixed out the Mellotron altogether !?!?!?!
<sighs again> I didn't actually say that, or even imply it...

Please (re)read my post of 23:38 on 23rd...
Covenant
2008-11-25 17:08:33 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Mark Rae
<sigh> I'm not saying that they don't sound incredible! I'm simply
pointing out that approximately half of the Mellotron tracks are buried...
Bloody hell, Mark !!!
So they've mixed out the Mellotron altogether !?!?!?!
<sighs again> I didn't actually say that, or even imply it...
Please (re)read my post of 23:38 on 23rd...
Mark, Mark, Mark....

After ALL these years... you still don;t get the humour....

(And this one was *obvious!*)

;' )
Mark Rae
2008-11-25 17:42:39 UTC
Post by Covenant
Post by Mark Rae
Bloody hell, Mark !!!
So they've mixed out the Mellotron altogether !?!?!?!
<sighs again> I didn't actually say that, or even imply it...
Please (re)read my post of 23:38 on 23rd...
Mark, Mark, Mark....
After ALL these years... you still don;t get the humour....
(And this one was *obvious!*)
;' )
Sorry - it was late and, once I'd corrected the spelling mistakes, I guess I
just subconsciously filtered out the immense hilarity...
Covenant
2008-11-25 21:30:47 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Covenant
Post by Mark Rae
Bloody hell, Mark !!!
So they've mixed out the Mellotron altogether !?!?!?!
<sighs again> I didn't actually say that, or even imply it...
Please (re)read my post of 23:38 on 23rd...
Mark, Mark, Mark....
After ALL these years... you still don;t get the humour....
(And this one was *obvious!*)
;' )
Sorry - it was late and, once I'd corrected the spelling mistakes, I guess
I just subconsciously filtered out the immense hilarity...
Understandable.. I often have that effect on people !!

;' )
n***@aol.com
2008-11-23 02:02:24 UTC
Post by Slubberdegullion
.....all the stuff about baldrick and twatty clarkson and videos...and logos
Doesnt the SEBTP mix sound fabulous? Bloody gorgeous...
Lamb is also good...
Havent listened to the others yet...surely nothing can make the Foxtrot
mix sound better?
:)
Slub
I, for one, am amazed at how good TRESPASS sounds in 5.1

Theo
Studio City, CA
Tim Hattrell