Can you sing the lyrics of Supper's Ready all the way through?
Sal Video
2009-01-07 16:41:22 UTC
If so, you are a true fan.

If not. You deserve what you get
Newsgroups
2009-01-07 17:14:07 UTC
Heh! What brought that on??

Jim
Post by Sal Video
If so, you are a true fan.
If not. You deserve what you get
Frank
2009-01-07 21:11:18 UTC
rather that than the ones of abacab!

bye

frank

http://tvc15.blogs.com/
Chuck
2009-01-07 21:40:56 UTC
Post by Sal Video
If so, you are a true fan.
If not. You deserve what you get
I can and often have. Still one of the greatest tunes ever written.
Seeing The Musical Box recreat it live was a great experience.
CB
Mark Rae
2009-01-07 21:53:11 UTC
Post by Chuck
Seeing The Musical Box
You just couldn't help yourself, could you...
Chuck
2009-01-08 13:08:33 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
Seeing The Musical Box
You just couldn't help yourself, could you...
I never saw the real thing so....... that was as good as it gets
(live).
CB
Mark Rae
2009-01-08 13:36:45 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
Seeing The Musical Box
You just couldn't help yourself, could you...
that was as good as it gets (live)
I guess you weren't really paying much attention to what was or (more
importantly) wasn't happening on stage...
Covenant
2009-01-08 17:06:48 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
Seeing The Musical Box
You just couldn't help yourself, could you...
that was as good as it gets (live)
I guess you weren't really paying much attention to what was or (more
importantly) wasn't happening on stage...
;' )) But how would he know, Mark, if he hadn't seen the originals !?!?!
After all, All the guys have *said* as much themselves, no?

;' ))
--
Covenant
A Man Stirring A Little..... ;' )
Mark Rae
2009-01-08 17:46:49 UTC
Post by Covenant
Post by Mark Rae
that was as good as it gets (live)
I guess you weren't really paying much attention to what was or (more
importantly) wasn't happening on stage...
;' )) But how would he know, Mark, if he hadn't seen the originals !?!?!
By comparing sight and sound - whether he's seen the originals or not is
neither here nor there...
Post by Covenant
After all, All the guys have *said* as much themselves, no?
Yes they have, but not officially...
Post by Covenant
A Man Stirring A Little..... ;' )
It's been a while... ;-)
Chuck
2009-01-08 20:40:33 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
I guess you weren't really paying much attention to what was or (more
importantly) wasn't happening on stage...
No. I was too busy playing space invaders on my cell phone. WTF? I've
seen the original many times on tape (SEBTP tour) but never live (I
was 8-9 years old).
CB
ptdivh
2009-01-08 18:48:23 UTC
Post by Sal Video
If so, you are a true fan.
If not. You deserve what you get
I can't. What do I get?

And when do I get it?
Mark Rae
2009-01-08 19:37:05 UTC
Post by ptdivh
I can't. What do I get?
Just play the tape and make like a singer...
Man
2009-01-10 20:49:46 UTC
I like to think I can, though my singing voice may leave something to
desire... I'm no Phil or peter, mind you...
raven1
2009-01-10 22:22:55 UTC
Post by Sal Video
If so, you are a true fan.
If not. You deserve what you get
I can, but I prefer to play Hackett's guitar parts all the way
through.
--

"O Sybilli, si ergo
Fortibus es in ero
Sivat sinem? Causen Dux"
Steve Turner
2009-01-11 02:22:20 UTC
Post by raven1
Post by Sal Video
If so, you are a true fan.
If not. You deserve what you get
I can, but I prefer to play Hackett's guitar parts all the way
through.
As can I, but it's the drum parts that do it for me, particularly during
the Apocalypse in 9/8 section, and especially in the recordings from the
1976 tour with Bill and Phil playing it together. If as a drummer you
can complement the overlaid 4/4 keyboard solo with fills and accents in
all the right places, and without losing track of the underlying 9/8
rhythm, then (IMO) you are a true fan.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Mark Rae
2009-01-11 02:33:15 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
As can I, but it's the drum parts that do it for me, particularly during
the Apocalypse in 9/8 section, and especially in the recordings from the
1976 tour with Bill and Phil playing it together. If as a drummer you can
complement the overlaid 4/4 keyboard solo with fills and accents in all
the right places, and without losing track of the underlying 9/8 rhythm,
then (IMO) you are a true fan.
You're certainly not a true fan if you think that the Apocalypse keyboard
solo is in 4/4...
Newsgroups
2009-01-11 07:26:51 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Steve Turner
As can I, but it's the drum parts that do it for me, particularly during
the Apocalypse in 9/8 section, and especially in the recordings from the
1976 tour with Bill and Phil playing it together. If as a drummer you
can complement the overlaid 4/4 keyboard solo with fills and accents in
all the right places, and without losing track of the underlying 9/8
rhythm, then (IMO) you are a true fan.
You're certainly not a true fan if you think that the Apocalypse keyboard
solo is in 4/4...
But much of it is arguably in 12/8, which, felt in pulses of 4, can elicit
some forgiveness for anyone who feels triplets in 4/4 when listening.

Jim
Mark Rae
2009-01-11 14:36:39 UTC
Post by Newsgroups
Post by Mark Rae
You're certainly not a true fan if you think that the Apocalypse keyboard
solo is in 4/4...
But much of it is arguably in 12/8, which, felt in pulses of 4, can elicit
some forgiveness for anyone who feels triplets in 4/4 when listening.
I can't agree with that - I've never heard it (nor played it!) in anything
other than 9/8...
Steve Turner
2009-01-11 20:26:37 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Newsgroups
Post by Mark Rae
You're certainly not a true fan if you think that the Apocalypse
keyboard solo is in 4/4...
But much of it is arguably in 12/8, which, felt in pulses of 4, can
elicit some forgiveness for anyone who feels triplets in 4/4 when
listening.
I can't agree with that - I've never heard it (nor played it!) in
anything other than 9/8...
Then you don't know how to count. Actually, not all of the keyboard
solo is in 4/4 (there are several places where I count a few bars of
7/8), but two major sections clearly are; Banks said so himself in an
article I read many years ago (sorry, I don't have a cite). You don't
have to believe me; just refer to this video:

Beginning at 7:22 Tony plays a full 17 bars of sixteenth notes that can
clearly be counted as 4/4, culminated by Phil bringing the band to the
bridge of the next section with a big fill (in 4/4, btw). Tony then
falls into 9/8 with the rest of the band as they lead into the next
section where the guitar and drums drop out (at 8:35 in the video); at
this point Tony begins playing in 4/4 once again while Rutherford pulses
the underlying 9/8 on the bass. If you don't hear the keyboard playing
4/4 in those sections then you're "deef" and you don't deserve to be
telling this drummer of 37+ years how to count rhythms.

There. Does that make me a true fan?
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
Newsgroups
2009-01-11 20:47:02 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
There. Does that make me a true fan?
Drumming to Genesis for 37 years makes you a true fan. The personal attack
on Mark makes you a true AMG member.

You saved me a bit of work in marking out sections with a pulse of 4. My
treatise on time signatures is forthcoming. I'll bet you can't wait. ;-)

Jim
Mark Rae
2009-01-11 20:48:54 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Post by Mark Rae
I can't agree with that - I've never heard it (nor played it!) in
anything other than 9/8...
Then you don't know how to count.
I know perfectly well how to count - counting 9 in my head was the only way
I was ever able to play the Apocalypse solo...

I appreciate that these few minutes of Genesis music have acquired an almost
divine reputation but. like the vast majority of Tony's solos, it's little
more than scales and arpeggios. Any classically trained keyboard player will
tell you that it's actually fairly rudimentary stuff...

Chuck
2009-01-12 12:05:40 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
I appreciate that these few minutes of Genesis music have acquired an almost
divine reputation but. like the vast majority of Tony's solos, it's little
more than scales and arpeggios. Any classically trained keyboard player will
tell you that it's actually fairly rudimentary stuff...
I think its the way it all comes together. It was never the TB part
that gave me chills (alone). It was the drums, bass.............. and
of course the historic live PG as Magog entry onto the stage.
CB
"In blood he's writing the lyrics of a brand new tune" (and the great
lyrics)
j***@hotmail.com
2009-01-24 02:56:17 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
I appreciate that these few minutes of Genesis music have acquired an almost
divine reputation but. like the vast majority of Tony's solos, it's little
more than scales and arpeggios. Any classically trained keyboard player will
tell you that it's actually fairly rudimentary stuff...
Yeah. In a lot of ways I prefer Tony's keyboard work from 1976-80 to
what he did before then...he stopped doing a lot of the flashy 16th-
note stuff and focused more on playing tasteful, well thought-out
melodies and chord patterns.
Mark Rae

Nic
2009-01-11 09:48:00 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Steve Turner
As can I, but it's the drum parts that do it for me, particularly during
the Apocalypse in 9/8 section, and especially in the recordings from the
1976 tour with Bill and Phil playing it together. If as a drummer you
can complement the overlaid 4/4 keyboard solo with fills and accents in
all the right places, and without losing track of the underlying 9/8
rhythm, then (IMO) you are a true fan.
You're certainly not a true fan if you think that the Apocalypse keyboard
solo is in 4/4...
wow. that's the definition of true?

nc
raven1
2009-01-11 03:51:38 UTC
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:22:20 -0600, Steve Turner
Post by Steve Turner
Post by raven1
Post by Sal Video
If so, you are a true fan.
If not. You deserve what you get
I can, but I prefer to play Hackett's guitar parts all the way
through.
As can I, but it's the drum parts that do it for me, particularly during
the Apocalypse in 9/8 section, and especially in the recordings from the
1976 tour with Bill and Phil playing it together. If as a drummer you
can complement the overlaid 4/4 keyboard solo with fills and accents in
all the right places, and without losing track of the underlying 9/8
rhythm, then (IMO) you are a true fan.
A true fan notices that the section actually starts off in 9/4, and
switches to 9/8 after the line "it won't be easy".
Newsgroups
2009-01-11 07:25:18 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Post by raven1
Post by Sal Video
If so, you are a true fan.
If not. You deserve what you get
I can, but I prefer to play Hackett's guitar parts all the way
through.
As can I, but it's the drum parts that do it for me, particularly during
the Apocalypse in 9/8 section, and especially in the recordings from the
1976 tour with Bill and Phil playing it together. If as a drummer you
can complement the overlaid 4/4 keyboard solo with fills and accents in
all the right places, and without losing track of the underlying 9/8
rhythm, then (IMO) you are a true fan.
A true fan notices that the section actually starts off in 9/4, and
switches to 9/8 after the line "it won't be easy".
A true musician might note that it's not really in 9/8, a compound meter
with 9 beats in pulses of 3, at all, but is really a complex meter of two or
three sequential beat counts, depending on how one interprets the accents.

Hey, do I win? Is mine longer? Or can we quit the public wank-fest and go
home?

Jim
raven1
2009-01-11 07:39:54 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Post by raven1
Post by Sal Video
If so, you are a true fan.
If not. You deserve what you get
I can, but I prefer to play Hackett's guitar parts all the way
through.
As can I, but it's the drum parts that do it for me, particularly during
the Apocalypse in 9/8 section, and especially in the recordings from the
1976 tour with Bill and Phil playing it together. If as a drummer you
can complement the overlaid 4/4 keyboard solo with fills and accents in
all the right places, and without losing track of the underlying 9/8
rhythm, then (IMO) you are a true fan.
A true fan notices that the section actually starts off in 9/4, and
switches to 9/8 after the line "it won't be easy".
A true musician might note that it's not really in 9/8, a compound meter
with 9 beats in pulses of 3,
That's the most common way of subdividing it, but not a mandatory one.
Post by Newsgroups
at all, but is really a complex meter of two or
three sequential beat counts, depending on how one interprets the accents.
I interpret them from the bass pedals (not to be confused with the
kick drum), which hit on the "E"'s, namely, on 1,2,4,6,7,and 8 of each
measure, if one takes the piece at its name. Perhaps Gabble Ratchet
can sort it all out.
LOL.
Mark Rae
2009-01-11 14:38:19 UTC
Post by raven1
I interpret them from the bass pedals (not to be confused with the
kick drum), which hit on the "E"'s, namely, on 1,2,4,6,7,and 8 of each
measure, if one takes the piece at its name.
Absolutely correct.