Tapping alert
Newsgroups
2008-09-04 20:56:29 UTC
Every once in a while, the subject of Steve's fretboard tapping comes up,
along with comments about who else was doing it. I was surprised to find
Chet Atkins employing it in a rendition of Orange Blossom Special in 1975,
available on YouTube. On another video with Jerry Reed in '75, he uses
sweeps. I knew him for a first-rate picker, but I never realized the range
of tricks he employed. Fretted harmonics, whammy bar, moving octaves,
sweeps, fretboard tapping, all employed with taste and restraint. It's
worth a few minutes browsing YouTube if you're not sure what the song
"Nashville Cats" is about.

Jim
Mark Rae
2008-09-04 21:31:27 UTC
Post by Newsgroups
Every once in a while, the subject of Steve's fretboard tapping comes up,
Usually to do with how he invented the technique, which he clearly didn't...

However, he most certainly helped to popularise it in rock music,
influencing Brian May who in turned influenced Eddie van Halen etc...
Newsgroups
2008-09-05 04:11:08 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Newsgroups
Every once in a while, the subject of Steve's fretboard tapping comes up,
Usually to do with how he invented the technique, which he clearly didn't...
However, he most certainly helped to popularise it in rock music,
influencing Brian May who in turned influenced Eddie van Halen etc...
Render unto Hackett that which is Hackett's.

Atkins never shows up in the standard list of fretboard tappers, yet seems
quite comfortable with it. As most tapper lists seem to be made up of jazz
and rock artists, it seems the Country Gentleman himself deserves a mention.

Jim