what is a unifaun??
d***@gmail.com
2016-07-27 16:05:58 UTC
I was reading the lyric sheet to Selling England by the Pound and the
opening line to the song Dancing with the Moonlit Knight states " Can you
tell me where my country lies, says the unifaun to his true loves eyes" I
always thought it was uniform, what is a unifaun?? My dictionary doesn't
have a definition. Anyone know?
dwayne
Some years ago I went on a search for the same question. I wish i would have saved the link but I found it meant something on the order of a soldier.
Dan S. MacAbre
2016-10-13 19:08:27 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
I was reading the lyric sheet to Selling England by the Pound and the
opening line to the song Dancing with the Moonlit Knight states " Can you
tell me where my country lies, says the unifaun to his true loves eyes" I
always thought it was uniform, what is a unifaun?? My dictionary doesn't
have a definition. Anyone know?
dwayne
Some years ago I went on a search for the same question. I wish i would have saved the link but I found it meant something on the order of a soldier.
You'll note that Genesis lyrics are often playful. I'd suggest that
unifaun is a combination of unicorn and faun, two mythical creatures.
p***@gmail.com
2018-01-30 19:00:14 UTC
what is a unifaun??
"Selling England By The Pound" is one of my least favorite Genesis albums
because it is chock full of British slang which I don't understand(I'm
American). Similarly, there are certain words like "unifaun" which I'm
not sure means anything special to an English person.
There are many people on this newsgroup who have the opposite opinion of
this album. I wish one of these fans would post a message atempting to
explain all the puns/slang on this album.
For example, what's meant by an "old fashioned Staffordshire plate?"- a
phrase that leads the Reverend to reply "Oh no, not me. I'm a man of
repute...?"
If I understood this reference perhaps I would find myself smirking
Americans are never backward in coming forward with their slang though we are all expected to understand the minutae of baseball (aka rounders) a unifaun is clearly a cross between a unicorn and a young deer. Suck up the English slang and work harder to understand the English
i***@gmail.com
2018-06-26 08:14:10 UTC
Just a guess, but, ‘young soldier’?
Uniform/Faun
Can’t expect to understand everything, there’s a lot of surreal and abstract concepts in Genesis, it’s all part of the charm.
c***@jpl.nasa.gov
2019-06-03 14:16:40 UTC
Interesting thread, spanning 20+ years and never converging; testament to the brilliance of the lyrics. I had always thought unifaun was a cross between a unicorn (imaginary creature without a homeland) and fawn (innocent/ naïf) who eventually sells herself for market rate at the end of Cinema Show. But I hadn’t noticed the spelling of faun (a randy, mythical goat/man/god) until seeing this thread, which supports imalp’s explanation. I like both interpretations, and that’s what I enjoy about Gabriel’s lyrics- they’re playful, and leave you guessing. And while you’re wondering what it all means,the music is awesome.