Mick Barnard - someone found him!
Slubberdegullion
2006-02-05 19:44:25 UTC
http://www.beldigital.com/index2.htm?page=about_us.shtml

Apparently he was one of he original guitarists in Genesis! hehehe

This was posted on the Genesis forum today - thought I would pass is on.....

Cheers

Slub
Sugar Mouse
2006-02-05 20:51:11 UTC
Post by Slubberdegullion
http://www.beldigital.com/index2.htm?page=about_us.shtml
Apparently he was one of he original guitarists in Genesis! hehehe
This was posted on the Genesis forum today - thought I would pass is on.....
Was this some alternate Genesis, or has his involvement passed me by
somehow?

Any help gratefully received.

Confused.

Nathan.
--
Find a better way of life, visit :-

www.marillion.com
Mark Rae
2006-02-05 21:07:45 UTC
Post by Sugar Mouse
Was this some alternate Genesis, or has his involvement passed me by
somehow?
Nope - he was the guitarist between Ant and Steve - only played a handful of
gigs.
JonDown
2006-02-06 00:00:28 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Sugar Mouse
Was this some alternate Genesis, or has his involvement passed me by
somehow?
Nope - he was the guitarist between Ant and Steve - only played a handful
of gigs.
I seem to remember he was in Genesis only three or four months, he
previously played with The Farm, did anyone know that a guy called Ron
(something) also played with Genesis for a very short while before Mick
Barnard?

Lamblies~
f***@gmail.com
2006-02-06 02:05:15 UTC
maybe your'e talking about "ronnie caryl", that friend of collins who
just auditionned about at the same time than phil. he never had been a
member of the band. he played with collins in a band called flaming
youth with phil in 1969
Mark Rae
2006-02-07 09:06:45 UTC
did anyone know that a guy called Ron (something) also played with Genesis
for a very short while before Mick Barnard?
That would be Ronnie Carryl, Phil's mate from Flaming Youth.

It's well documented that, during this period, the band played several gigs
as a four-piece which led Tony to try to find a guitar-type sound on his
keyboards to compensate for their missing lead guitarist. He eventually
achieved this by playing his Hohner pianet through a fuzz box, a sound which
remained on tracks like Musical Box, Hogweed and Salmacis, even though Steve
had been in the band for several months by the time they actually came to
record Nursery Cryme. This sound appeared on no other Genesis studio album.
JonDown
2006-02-07 14:19:44 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
did anyone know that a guy called Ron (something) also played with
Genesis for a very short while before Mick Barnard?
That would be Ronnie Carryl, Phil's mate from Flaming Youth.
It's well documented that, during this period, the band played several
gigs as a four-piece which led Tony to try to find a guitar-type sound on
his keyboards to compensate for their missing lead guitarist. He
eventually achieved this by playing his Hohner pianet through a fuzz box,
a sound which remained on tracks like Musical Box, Hogweed and Salmacis,
even though Steve had been in the band for several months by the time they
actually came to record Nursery Cryme. This sound appeared on no other
Genesis studio album.
That's him, I'm pretty sure my uncle saw him play with Genesis in a small
gig in the Oxford area though, as I seem to remember him saying he was very
good at short notice & little practice, my uncle worked for clubs as a
bouncer when he was young & as a talent & booking agent in the very early
70's, Genesis was a particular interest of his & always recognised their
talent from 'the beginning' in our house all we ever heard was Genesis
Genesis Genesis from him until he moved to Bristol & got a real job in about
1972/1973 & I took over as #1 fan :-).

Lamblies~
Mark Rae
2006-02-07 15:46:34 UTC
If only he'd taken his cine camera along... :-)
JonDown
2006-02-07 17:30:25 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
I'm pretty sure my uncle saw him play with Genesis in a small gig in the
Oxford area
If only he'd taken his cine camera along... :-)
I some times call him in the UK on Sunday afternoon, I'll ask him if he
remembers exactly next time, but it was about 35 years ago.... my memories
of what he told me years ago are better than his memories of what he did
sometimes especially of the early to mid 70's if you know what I mean :-) He
also did so much around the music scene back then, met so many people went
to so many parties...sadly that was the problem, I always worshiped him as a
teenager but I'm glad I did not follow too closely in his footsteps.

Lamblies~
Mark Rae
2006-02-07 18:20:37 UTC
Post by JonDown
I some times call him in the UK on Sunday afternoon, I'll ask him if he
remembers exactly next time, but it was about 35 years ago....
Well, slipping into anorak mode for a moment or two, it was obviously one of
the 40 or so gigs between Ant's last on 18 July 1970 at the King's Arms in
Haywards Heath and Steve's first on 14 January 1971 at London University
College.

You mentioned the Oxford area, and the only gig I'm aware of in that general
area during the above period was on 6 October at the British Legion Club in
Princes Risborough...
JonDown
2006-02-07 19:02:20 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by JonDown
I some times call him in the UK on Sunday afternoon, I'll ask him if he
remembers exactly next time, but it was about 35 years ago....
Well, slipping into anorak mode for a moment or two, it was obviously one
of the 40 or so gigs between Ant's last on 18 July 1970 at the King's Arms
in Haywards Heath and Steve's first on 14 January 1971 at London
University College.
You mentioned the Oxford area, and the only gig I'm aware of in that
general area during the above period was on 6 October at the British
Legion Club in Princes Risborough...
I only remember it was near Oxford because he stayed overnight with his
older brother (my Uncle Ron) who lived in Oxford at the time. They used to
go to a lot of concerts between Plymouth & London back then...or should I
say my Uncle Dave dragged my Uncle Ron to them until I was old enough to go
:-)

How Close would that have been to Mick joining for his short stint?

I'll make a point of calling him Sunday as this is quite interesting....to
me anyhow :-)

Lamblies~
Mark Rae
2006-02-07 20:00:07 UTC
Post by JonDown
How Close would that have been to Mick joining for his short stint?
Unfortunately, I don't know exactly which gigs were with Ronnie, which with
Mick and which as a four-piece - Mick was with them for at least a couple of
months, though...

Gary, can you help...?

It is certain, however, that Mick played on their very first TV performance
on 14 November. The programme was called Disco Two, which would later become
The Old Grey Whistle Test. I know for a fact that several people you will
have heard of have contacted the BBC to try to get a copy of the tape of
this show, but to no avail. Lots of BBC archives were simply thrown out, and
this was apparently one of them.
JonDown
2006-02-07 20:06:13 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
It is certain, however, that Mick played on their very first TV
performance on 14 November. The programme was called Disco Two, which
would later become The Old Grey Whistle Test. I know for a fact that
several people you will have heard of have contacted the BBC to try to get
a copy of the tape of this show, but to no avail. Lots of BBC archives
were simply thrown out, and this was apparently one of them.
I can never believe how that can happen......can you imagine what some of
those archives would be worth to
collectors.....................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhh.......
My brain hurts!

Jon~
Mark Rae
2006-02-07 21:57:48 UTC
Post by JonDown
I can never believe how that can happen......can you imagine what some of
those archives would be worth to
collectors.....................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhh.......
My brain hurts!
Ah yes, but the three entire Lamb concerts from 1975 are safely tucked away
in the vaults in Hatton Cross...

Oh my God, what am I saying...?

:-)
Gary Best
2006-02-07 23:13:18 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by JonDown
How Close would that have been to Mick joining for his short stint?
Unfortunately, I don't know exactly which gigs were with Ronnie, which with
Mick and which as a four-piece - Mick was with them for at least a couple of
months, though...
Gary, can you help...?
I've got an interview with Phil where he says that Ronnie Caryl played a
single gig with them, at Friars Aylesbury.

I haven't got a gig list (didn't buy the turtle book), so I've no idea
how accurate it is.

However, Aylesbury is rather close to Oxford!

Actually, there's a list of all the gigs at Friars on the interweb, and
lo and behold, 13th April 1970, a band called "Genesis" played there!
Also played on 15th June 1970.

It'll be one of them then.

Mark Rae
2006-02-08 08:51:17 UTC
Post by Gary Best
I've got an interview with Phil where he says that Ronnie Caryl played a
single gig with them, at Friars Aylesbury.
Ah - I didn't know that...
Post by Gary Best
I haven't got a gig list (didn't buy the turtle book), so I've no idea how
accurate it is.
Shame, because as we all know there were no inaccuracies in the turtle
book... :-)
Gary Best
2006-02-07 23:18:00 UTC
Or perhaps I should actually read the dates stated in earlier posts
before I bother replying!

Mark Rae
2006-02-08 08:53:06 UTC
Or perhaps I should actually read the dates stated in earlier posts before
I bother replying!
FWIW, I can't find any listing of a gig at Friars in Aylesbury between Ant
leaving and Steve joining...

There is a record of a gig on 23 October at Friars Club Addison Centre in
Bedford, though...
Probert
2006-02-08 18:07:42 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Gary Best
Or perhaps I should actually read the dates stated in earlier posts
before I bother replying!
FWIW, I can't find any listing of a gig at Friars in Aylesbury between Ant
leaving and Steve joining...
There were quite a few, Mark, though at the time Friars was a bit of a
moveable feast depending on where Dave Stopps (the club's promoter) could
find a venue - although mainly in Aylesbury there were Friars gigs in
Leighton Buzzard, Dunstable (Genesis certainly played there, though whether
it was with or without Steve I couldn't say) and Bedford. I believe there
was also a (non-Friars) gig at Aylesbury Grammar School - though that may be
bollocks.

I'm not surprised that there's no proper record of Friars gigs at the time
available, 'cos it was ever so slightly off-the-cuff and chaotic.

Friars eventually found a permanent home once Aylesbury's Civic Centre was
built in the mid-70s (in whose car park I - literally - bumped into a short,
very bearded and balding Genesis drummer before a pre-Reading one-off
Gabriel gig).

Cheers,
Probert.
Bedford, though...
Mark Rae
2006-02-08 18:33:01 UTC
Post by Probert
I'm not surprised that there's no proper record of Friars gigs at the time
available, 'cos it was ever so slightly off-the-cuff and chaotic.
Of the 40 or so gigs between Ant's last and Steve's first, the only one
listed as a "Friars" gig is the Beford one...
Gary Best
2006-02-08 18:15:06 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
FWIW, I can't find any listing of a gig at Friars in Aylesbury between Ant
leaving and Steve joining...
There is a record of a gig on 23 October at Friars Club Addison Centre in
Bedford, though...
That'll be the one - Phil actually just says "Friars" and I always
presumed it was Friars Aylesbury.

p***@hotmail.com
2006-02-05 23:32:56 UTC
Post by Sugar Mouse
Post by Slubberdegullion
http://www.beldigital.com/index2.htm?page=about_us.shtml
Apparently he was one of he original guitarists in Genesis! hehehe
This was posted on the Genesis forum today - thought I would pass is on.....
Was this some alternate Genesis, or has his involvement passed me by
somehow?
Any help gratefully received.
Confused.
Radio Yerevan Answers:

Nope, same Genesis (there is just one Genesis - aka The Janitors, e.g.)
and it has been documented as already answred by Mark Rae. What is
really confusing here though:

1) the English - there is just "the original", not "one of the
original" guitarists, Ant, as how there is just one Genesis and not
alternative Genesii (?) or Genesis in a parallel universe;

2) the timeline as can be seen in the history bit top centre-right of
the link - so Mick Barnard first worked for six years in a lab and only
then he audited for Genesis after Ant departed and before Steve joined;
maybe Mick was older than the born in '50 ones.

Or maybe then again items 1) & 2) are just the same. English. And I
mean British one.

Ironically enough, as can be seen, Mick Barnard even now appears
in...Milton Keynes.

Eduard Belian

Radio Yerevan

http://www.geocities.com/edi_60
Newsgroups
2006-02-06 23:12:20 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Nope, same Genesis (there is just one Genesis - aka The Janitors, e.g.)
and it has been documented as already answred by Mark Rae. What is
Not so, actually. There was a US band with a female singer going by the
name of Genesis at the time the boys got started, which I understand was why
the first album was named as it was, with no name for the band. The US band
didn't last, so the boys were free to be Genesis outside the closet as well
by the time Trespass came out.

I used to own the album by the other Genesis, but it went missing before I
ever bothered to listen to it.

Jim
Scotto
2006-02-08 04:11:22 UTC
I didn't know Mick Barnard was missing. I always thought the drummer
from Trespass was the one with whereabouts unknown.

Scotto
--
www.tuesdayafternoonshow.com
Slub
jrsquonk
2006-02-08 04:46:42 UTC
John Mayhew. They finally found him you know. Had a hell of a royalty
check to cash in.

krs
Scotto
2006-02-09 03:33:25 UTC
Really?!?? This I did not know! I mean, I knew about they royalty
check, but not that they had actually found him after 35 years! If you
played in a band and the guys hit it big and that was you playing
drums..well, what the hell was this guy doing?!??

w***@hotmail.com
2017-04-30 22:45:52 UTC
Yes Genesis did play a show at Aylesbury Grammar School with Mick Barnard. I know as I was there. Admittance was for the schools pupils only so I took a microphone with me and without missing a beat I waved it at the door manager saying ‘roadie’ and walked straight in. I saw them a few weeks later at Aylesbury college with Hackett. Long after the gear was packed up I remember the band sitting in the middle of an empty hall and Collins saying ‘I never want to hear the name Farm ever again

Talking of Farm, I saw many concerts by them. They were a wonderful band that included drummer Paul Hammond who replaced Carl Palmer in Atomic Rooster and bassist Nigel Harrison who played in Silverhead, Blondie and Chequered Past