Can anyone ID this documentary, tell me if it is on DVD?
cropduster
2009-05-03 14:18:55 UTC
I see this NG is not too lively, but perhaps there's someone who
can help.

Way back in the last century (1983 or thereabouts), when MTV really
had "music", I recorded on VHS part of a Genesis documentary.
I have only the last 24 minutes of it, but the live performance
is killer, and if it's been rereleased on DVD, I'd love to have
it. I did digitize it to MPEG1, but the VHS quality isn't much
to begin with.

What I Have (the last 24 minutes):

Starts with an interview with Tony Banks; he says something
about the keyboard sounds he gets "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
is the same crosshand technique". Then it cuts to Phil, "Just
one step toward taking people off of automatic pilot", then
it goes into a live performance:

Who Dunnit
In The Cage
Afterglow
Turn It On Again

Mike is playing a Selmer double neck (bass/6 string) guitar,
if that is any help. Daryl Stuermer is also playing guitar.

During the live performance, they cut to footage of the band
in their dressing room, on their bus ("I can show you, I can
show you, some of the people in my life...").

Credits:
Executive Producer: Tony Smith and Genesis
Produced and directed by Stuart Orme
Film Editor: Noel Oliver
Assistant Film Editor: Mike Cragg
Film Sound: Ray T. Parker
Production Manager: Lorne Magory
Mixed at The Farm: Geoff Callingham
Thanks to: Andy Mackrill - Geoff Banks - Alan Owen - Craig
Schertz - The Roadies - Carol Willis at Hit'N'Run - And
Peter Lodge
Film Facilities: Focus Films
Post-Production Facilities: Uppercuts
A Rooster Production for Gelring Ltd.

Thanks to anyone who can identify this.
jon.in.durham
2009-05-03 15:03:32 UTC
Post by cropduster
[...]
Sounds Like the 'Three Sides Live' video (which I had on Betamax!!),
which had a interview segment with Hugh Fielder from Sounds magazine
talking about making the 'ABACAB' album

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sides_Live_(video)

I don't think it is currently available on DVD.
Mad Mike
2009-05-04 10:26:27 UTC
He is, indeed, talking about "Three Sides Live", which I have on VHS
and converted to DVD awhile back. I have that and the "Mama" tour on
the same DVD. Ask me nicely and I might make a copy. Respond to my
alternate e-mail address - ***@aol.com.

BTW, Mike's double-neck in the 3SL video is a Shergold.
cropduster
2009-05-05 01:19:14 UTC
Post by Mad Mike
He is, indeed, talking about "Three Sides Live", which I have on VHS
and converted to DVD awhile back. I have that and the "Mama" tour on
the same DVD. Ask me nicely and I might make a copy. Respond to my
BTW, Mike's double-neck in the 3SL video is a Shergold.
Thanks to all. That indeed fits with date and contact. Too bad
it's not on DVD - guess I'll have to copy a VHS transfer.
alt.binaries.dvd.music would be a nice place...

Shergold, huh. I stand corrected - my VHS from TV isn't the best
resolution, sure looked like the Selmer logo to me. Doesn't Mike
also have a Rickenbacker double neck of some sort, 12 and
6 string maybe?
Mark Rae
2009-05-05 07:16:04 UTC
Doesn't Mike also have a Rickenbacker double neck of some sort,
12 and 6 string maybe?
It was a Rickenbacker 4/12, and was sold off in the major Farm auction a few
years ago - he hadn't used it since the mid-70s...
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=30ac87cfddf0e178f905d050ef0e7ff
Covenant
2009-05-06 17:00:17 UTC
Post by Mad Mike
He is, indeed, talking about "Three Sides Live", which I have on VHS
and converted to DVD awhile back. I have that and the "Mama" tour on
the same DVD. Ask me nicely and I might make a copy. Respond to my
BTW, Mike's double-neck in the 3SL video is a Shergold.
Isn't that generous !!!!?
--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Mark Rae
2009-05-04 15:59:10 UTC
Post by cropduster
Way back in the last century (1983 or thereabouts), when MTV really
had "music", I recorded on VHS part of a Genesis documentary.
Three Sides Live:
Post by cropduster
Then it cuts to Phil, "Just one step toward taking people off of
automatic pilot"
Phil most certainly does *NOT* say "off of"...
Post by cropduster
Mike is playing a Selmer double neck (bass/6 string) guitar,
Mike is playing his custom Shergold double neck:
http://www.shergold.co.uk/mikes.html