70-75 Box - the stereo mixes
Allan Matthews
2008-11-13 08:00:13 UTC
I just got my 70-75 box today and am plowing through the CDs (I'll get
to the DVDs tomorrow).

Here are some of my thoughts so far, in no particular order:

1. These mixes are bright and treble-heavy, sometimes to the point of
shrillness.

2. The improvement in clarity is dramatic. Sometimes this is not a
good thing.

3. Particular attention seems to have been given to vocals. Overdubs
and harmonies are much more obvious. Overall, the vocals seem more
prominent in the mix.

4. Aternate takes sometimes seem to have been used simply for the sake
of using them to make things different than they originally were.
Again, this is sometimes not a good thing.

5. Putting more stuff in the mixes is also often not a good thing.
They were originally left out for a reason.

6. The older the material, the more is gained by giving it a 21st Cent.
tune up.

7. The overuse of compression in mixing should be outlawed.

So, overall, a decidedly mixed reaction so far. In particular I was
disappointed with the Lamb remix. I had really been looking forward to
it after reading an interview with Tony years ago where he said the new
mix was "so much better".

allan
--
***@bigfoot.com
Arthur: "We need something more than fireworks."
Mark Rae
2008-11-13 08:24:05 UTC
4. Alternate takes sometimes seem to have been used simply for the sake
of using them to make things different than they originally were.
Again, this is sometimes not a good thing.
This was particular true of the 76-82 box. Did anyone else notice the howler
at the end of One for the Vine, or that sometimes the Mellotron has been
dropped right down e.g. during the verses of Dance on a Volcano (Holy mother
of God, etc)...?
Godolphin&fellow
2008-11-13 12:02:35 UTC
Post by Allan Matthews
I just got my 70-75 box today and am plowing through the CDs (I'll get
to the DVDs tomorrow).
1.  These mixes are bright and treble-heavy, sometimes to the point of
shrillness.
2.  The improvement in clarity is dramatic.  Sometimes this is not a
good thing.
I recall feeling this way the first time I heard The Yes Album
remastered. My opinions changed on subsequent listens though.
Post by Allan Matthews
3.  Particular attention seems to have been given to vocals.  Overdubs
and harmonies are much more obvious.  Overall, the vocals seem more
prominent in the mix.
Someone said the same about the first box set but, except for a very
few instances, I haven't noticed that myself.
Post by Allan Matthews
6.  The older the material, the more is gained by giving it a 21st Cent.
tune up.
That's good to hear. Tony had implied that less improvements were
possible with the earliest albums.
Post by Allan Matthews
7.  The overuse of compression in mixing should be outlawed.
It's a shame these remixed versions are coming out when 'over-
loudness' seems to be the fashion. Probably in 10 years or so new,
'corrected' remixes will be offered for sell.
Jim Brown
2008-11-13 23:01:30 UTC
Post by Allan Matthews
4. Aternate takes sometimes seem to have been used simply for the sake
of using them to make things different than they originally were.
Again, this is sometimes not a good thing.
Are they "Alternate takes"???? Not to sure about this as i have not read or
heard this before.
Post by Allan Matthews
5. Putting more stuff in the mixes is also often not a good thing.
They were originally left out for a reason.
Not sure what you mean by "putting more stuff in"? As far as i know Nick
just made it more visible - it was always there. i think the whole set has
been treated very sympathetically and is a huge improvement on the murky
mixes we had before.
Frank
2008-11-22 16:14:06 UTC
i love them very much!

bye

frank

http://tvc15.blogs.com/
n***@rushtraderdotcom
2008-11-23 15:32:09 UTC
I started listening to some of the DTS stuff last night...just
incredible, particularly on SEBTP. It's like hearing them for the
first time. You feel like you're inside the song...nice warmth and
separation on these tracks that were once a muddled mess.

Really goes to show you how innovative and unique Genesis were during
this time. For the first time you can really hear what's going on and
it's mind blowing.

Plus, it's great to have such in depth interviews for each album
(40mins plus each)...the ultimate collection of Peter's years with the
band.
Post by Frank
i love them very much!
bye
frank
http://tvc15.blogs.com/
IanKR
2008-11-23 16:13:22 UTC
... DTS stuff ...
DTS?
Mark Rae
2008-11-23 16:17:21 UTC
... DTS stuff ...
DTS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Theater_System
IanKR
2008-11-23 16:45:58 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
... DTS stuff ...
DTS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Theater_System
Oh, I see. I haven't got any of that stuff. The OP was talking about the
stereo mixes, though. I'm still wondering whether it's worth getting this
box set to play on standard stereo system.
n***@rushtraderdotcom