the musical box, changed again
emergency stopping only
2008-09-19 06:09:23 UTC
Ok, so a little while ago I visited the musical box's website and they
had an audio clip of a (I assume) new singer and new trick of the tail
tour. The guy sounded... reasonably like Phil Collins but lower. It
was definitely ok, still not phil but ok.

So I look at the website today and damned if Denis Gagne is playing
Phil Collins now. That doesn't seem right to me at all. His voice
just doesn't cut it for me for a Phil concert. And they're saying
another guy does singing too but only sometimes. But there's no
indication which concerts he does and/or what he sounds like or if he
was the same guy they had on earlier. So what on earth is going on,
can anyone shed light on this?
Chuck
2008-09-19 08:08:58 UTC
Post by emergency stopping only
So I look at the website today and damned if Denis Gagne is playing
Phil Collins now.
OMG, it is Denis. I think it sounds pretty damn good. I'll be there!
CB
http://www.themusicalbox.net/
Umberto
2008-09-19 08:59:01 UTC
Post by emergency stopping only
Ok, so a little while ago I visited the musical box's website and they
had an audio clip of a (I assume) new singer and new trick of the tail
tour. The guy sounded... reasonably like Phil Collins but lower. It
was definitely ok, still not phil but ok.
So I look at the website today and damned if Denis Gagne is playing
Phil Collins now. That doesn't seem right to me at all. His voice
just doesn't cut it for me for a Phil concert. And they're saying
another guy does singing too but only sometimes. But there's no
indication which concerts he does and/or what he sounds like or if he
was the same guy they had on earlier. So what on earth is going on,
can anyone shed light on this?
Do you have alink to this audio-clip? I was only able to find a
video-clip (Dance on a Volcano).

Anyway...did you saw the IMDB page of Gagne?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2692164/
He is acting in a movie called Soupernatural
emergency stopping only
2008-09-19 15:54:20 UTC
Post by Umberto
Post by emergency stopping only
Ok, so a little while ago I visited the musical box's website and they
had an audio clip of a (I assume) new singer and new trick of the tail
tour.  The guy sounded... reasonably like Phil Collins but lower.  It
was definitely ok, still not phil but ok.
So I look at the website today and damned if Denis Gagne is playing
Phil Collins now.  That doesn't seem right to me at all.  His voice
just doesn't cut it for me for a Phil concert.  And they're saying
another guy does singing too but only sometimes.  But there's no
indication which concerts he does and/or what he sounds like or if he
was the same guy they had on earlier.  So what on earth is going on,
can anyone shed light on this?
Do you have alink to this audio-clip? I was only able to find a
video-clip (Dance on a Volcano).
The audio clip is no longer on the website. I wish I had saved it
somehow.
Covenant
2008-09-19 23:30:34 UTC
Post by Umberto
[...]
Check your web Cache.. it may still be in there...
--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
emergency stopping only
I had checked before I posted this. It wasn't as far as I could tell.
Covenant

progea
2008-09-19 23:47:28 UTC
..Anaesthethist? ;)
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-09-26 19:02:47 UTC
agree - the guy shouldn't even take the stage. I don't know the name
of the Phil clone, buy this dude makes ray Wilson sound like Ronan
Tynan and Pavarotti combined. Also, the drumming is about, um, 70000%
better by the clone. I saw this drummer in Atlantic City last year.
Respectfully, if Paul Carrack was a drummer he'd sound like this.
About the only silver lining is appreciating how weak Genesis would
have been with such a drummer.
Yeah, Bruford played the tour, and he is right handed. Ever shake his
hand? HUGE - plays with these enormous sticks - only interesting
insofar as Phil is probably playing with the littlest sticks available
and Bruford the biggest. Size does count though, in the size of the
sound. I could prettify it, but we all know it - this dude just
doesn't have the balls to pull off the drumming - Chester's playing
defines Genesis. In AC it was not as though the drummer was not
trying - but he sucked, and he sucks on the clip. For that matter,
the singer relatively, well, sucks. I guess The Musical Box is as
MENUDO or something - I would not have spent more than $15 to see
these guys 4th row. Oh well.
One years ago to the day I saw Genesis in New Jersey - Phil was the
same in attitude as his Final Tour, as I could see both from the 4th
row (just like the sound and the view from that spot): He is BITTER.
For good reason - the come and go deafness in his left ear does not
let him truly enjoy the music, his vocal chords are literally 98%
gone, and he simply did not age well. Not everyone can age as that of
a Bowie or Neil Young - but Phil was struggling, which was such a
contrast to the days of this tour.
Still: it is hypocrisy hidden when everyone you know "can't -------
stand Genesis", yet, besides the Beatles, the have more tribute acts,
many of whom did so well as to get Genesis off their chairs and
release some of their stuff again. have not checked out the portfolio
in 5.1 stereo, so comments on that please.
Also: bit rates and the box sets of the 2007 tour: Anyone else try a
FULL OUT .wav file to burn those concerts? The *sound* alone is about
a gig, but it is also "I am on the stage listening right now" good -
or is it me?

Thanks!
/ias/
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-09-26 19:11:51 UTC
Post by emergency stopping only
Ok, so a little while ago I visited the musical box's website and they
had an audio clip of a (I assume) new singer and new trick of the tail
tour.  The guy sounded... reasonably like Phil Collins but lower.  It
was definitely ok, still not phil but ok.
So I look at the website today and damned if Denis Gagne is playing
Phil Collins now.  That doesn't seem right to me at all.  His voice
just doesn't cut it for me for a Phil concert.  And they're saying
another guy does singing too but only sometimes.  But there's no
indication which concerts he does and/or what he sounds like or if he
was the same guy they had on earlier.  So what on earth is going on,
can anyone shed light on this?
I checked the clip - the guy sounds like a bad Ray Wilson, the drummer
sounds like the guy from my band in college who works for the company,
and no, not as a drummer! Greta point though - if these cats want to
be Menudo and sell tckts for $50 each, tell us who is playing. They
are going to torture that album. The beard looks good though - the
hair's too thick - BUT WHO CARES???? Ever see the FAB FAUX featuring
Will Lee of Letterman and Rich Pagado??? Screw the "look" - these guys
ARE the Beatles live - which is The Musical box with a proper and full
lineup. These guys have gone from the FAB FAUX to THE RUTLES. Oh
well.

/ias/