Please Don't Touch
Steve Turner
2008-10-23 12:54:28 UTC
I just listened intently to the title track from Steve Hackett's album
"Please Don't Touch" (what a great album!) on the way into work, and I
found myself *aching* to rewrite history and to put Phil Collins on the
drum kit instead of Chester Thompson. Don't get me wrong; I don't hate
Chester's rendition, but he just tip-toes through it without adding
anything of interest, like a session drummer "doing his job". Phil
would have turned this track into a monster!

Now I'm hoping you true Genesis gurus (I was one once, but I pretty much
forgot everything I knew - old age is hell) are going to tell me that
Genesis did this song in demo form or something, and it can be found at
<insert information here>. Please, oh please! :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Mark Rae
2008-10-23 14:45:38 UTC
Post by Steve Turner
Now I'm hoping you true Genesis gurus (I was one once, but I pretty much
forgot everything I knew - old age is hell) are going to tell me that
Genesis did this song in demo form or something,
They most certainly did, during the W&W rehearsals. W&W was originally
intended to be a double album, including an extended version of Please Don't
Touch plus the three tracks which ended up on the Spot the Pigeon EP.
However, Phil vetoed Please Don't Touch because he "couldn't get into it",
and it was dropped. After that, Steve never wrote anything else for the
band.
From within the Genesis trading community...
Steve Turner
2008-10-23 17:50:06 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Steve Turner
Now I'm hoping you true Genesis gurus (I was one once, but I pretty
much forgot everything I knew - old age is hell) are going to tell me
that Genesis did this song in demo form or something,
They most certainly did, during the W&W rehearsals. W&W was originally
intended to be a double album, including an extended version of Please
Don't Touch plus the three tracks which ended up on the Spot the Pigeon
EP. However, Phil vetoed Please Don't Touch because he "couldn't get
into it", and it was dropped. After that, Steve never wrote anything
else for the band.
Ah yes, that kinda rings a bell for me now. Geez, Phil must have had a
real bug up his butt if he "couldn't get into" that song... The basic
riff sounds like it could have been something similar to what he played
on "Wot Gorilla?"
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Steve Turner
and it can be found at <insert information here>. Please, oh please!
:-)
From within the Genesis trading community...
I've never been a member of that gang. I guess I'll have to figure how
to get initiated.
--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."
Sal Video
2008-10-23 21:19:55 UTC
Hacket had threatened to quit to play bass and join Jethro Tull. This is a
well known fact amongst prog rock fans throught the world. Tull said he
needed a new bassist and Hackett had worn out his welcome in the Genesis.

I read an interview wih Tull in the 1978 Crawdaddy magazine and he said he
was trying to get Hackett because of his classical and jazz chops. He said
he wanted to get a bassist along the lines of Fred Montreaux or Diddly
Cummings.
n***@rushtraderdotcom
Mark Rae
2008-10-25 02:00:33 UTC