Still hope for Gabe reunion
Chuck
2008-11-08 11:16:03 UTC
I think Steve puts it best....... Hackett adds that, "I think we
should do this before one of us dies
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003886451
Mark Rae
2008-11-08 12:25:03 UTC
A remastered version of A Curious Feeling - hmm, now *that's* interesting...
n***@aol.com
2008-11-08 16:12:23 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
I think Steve puts it best....... Hackett adds that, "I think we
should do this before one of us dies
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=10038
86451
A remastered version of A Curious Feeling - hmm, now *that's* interesting...
I actually like that albums so I just might get it, especially if there
are some unreleased tracks......
Steve Turner
2008-11-08 13:46:11 UTC
Post by Chuck
I think Steve puts it best....... Hackett adds that, "I think we
should do this before one of us dies
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003886451
"I think we should do this before one of us dies; we're not getting
any younger, to quote one of the songs, so maybe one day it'll happen."

Interesting that he would quote (paraphrase, actually) one of the songs
on which neither he nor Peter played.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Chuck
2008-11-08 14:58:59 UTC
� "I think we should do this before one of us dies; we're not getting
any younger, to quote one of the songs, so maybe one day it'll happen."
Interesting that he would quote (paraphrase, actually) one of the songs
on which neither he nor Peter played.
I thought the same thing. My second thought however, was that he may
have been in on, to some extent, the intial ATTWT sessions which may
have contained the first song from that record; 'Down and Out'.
CB
Mark Rae
2008-11-08 15:26:13 UTC
Post by Chuck
Post by Steve Turner
Interesting that he would quote (paraphrase, actually) one of the songs
on which neither he nor Peter played.
I thought the same thing. My second thought however, was that he may
have been in on, to some extent, the intial ATTWT sessions which may
have contained the first song from that record; 'Down and Out'.
Except that he wasn't...

Steve left mid-way through the mixing / re-recording Seconds Out sessions in
the late summer / early autumn of 1977. You must have heard the infamous
Tony Banks "We just mixed him out" quote...

Following this, the remaining three decamped to The Netherlands to record
ATTWT in September and October. Steve didn't accompany them, obviously! Why
would he...?
ATTWT was release in April 1978

Steve's departure from the group was announced on 8th October, a week before
the UK release of Seconds Out.

Steve finished writing the material for Please Don't Touch, which was
recorded between November 1977 and February 1978, and released in May 1978.
Nic
2008-11-08 17:53:12 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
Post by Steve Turner
[...]
Please don't Touch was a much better record than ATTWT.

nc
Mark Rae
2008-11-08 18:12:28 UTC
Post by Nic
Please don't Touch was a much better record than ATTWT.
How can you possibly say that? At 53:27 in length, ATTWT is almost fifteen
minutes longer than PDT, and has two extra words in its title...
Newsgroups
2008-11-08 19:09:23 UTC
You're an evil man, Mark.
Chuck
2008-11-09 09:00:07 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
Post by Steve Turner
Interesting that he would quote (paraphrase, actually) one of the songs
on which neither he nor Peter played.
I thought the same thing. My second thought however, was that he may
have been in on, to some extent, the intial ATTWT sessions which may
have contained the first song from that record; 'Down and Out'.
Except that he wasn't...
You never know when these songs are originally pieced together. Title
track from Trick was written during the Foxtrot era but never made it
to a record until 1976. Perhaps Down and Out was thrown around during
the Wind era, notably since it was being considered as a double
"album".
CB
Mark Rae
2008-11-09 13:12:33 UTC
Post by Chuck
Post by Mark Rae
Except that he wasn't...
You never know when these songs are originally pieced together.
Do some reading...
Post by Chuck
Title track from Trick was written during the Foxtrot era but never made
it
to a record until 1976.
Well there you go! How do you know that...? Same way as you know which was
the only song on The Lamb for which Gabriel didn't write the lyrics. Or who
wrote Watcher of the Skies. Or which poem was the inspiration for The Cinema
Show's lyrics. Or which part of Supper's Ready Tony wrote when he was still
at University. Or...
Post by Chuck
Perhaps Down and Out was thrown around during the Wind era,
That must be it. Steve makes reference to a song recorded after he left, so
they must have written it while he was still in the band. Obviously, Steve
never listened to any of the later albums at all...
Chuck
2008-11-09 15:31:56 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
Perhaps Down and Out was thrown around during the Wind era,
That must be it. Steve makes reference to a song recorded after he left, so
they must have written it while he was still in the band. Obviously, Steve
never listened to any of the later albums at all...
I'm sure he listened to ATTWT after he left out of curiosity. Just
seems strange that a line would stick with him 30 years later. Where
did all of that material from the almost double album that became W&W
go? I propose that a few tunes that made it to ATTWT carried over...
and perhaps D&O may be one.
We are realy spliting hairs here. Maybe its just a post Hackett era
song that he likes and has listened to over the years. Next time I see
him I'll ask him.
CB
Mark Rae
2008-11-09 21:08:33 UTC
Post by Chuck
I'm sure he listened to ATTWT after he left out of curiosity. Just
seems strange that a line would stick with him 30 years later.
Does it...?
Post by Chuck
Where did all of that material from the almost double album that became
W&W go?
I assume you're joking but, in case you aren't, three of the songs were
released on the Spot the Pigeon EP, and a cut-down version of Please Don't
Touch was re-worked as the title track of Steve's second album
Post by Chuck
I propose that a few tunes that made it to ATTWT carried over...
and perhaps D&O may be one.
I know you do - that doesn't make it fact, though...
Post by Chuck
Maybe its just a post Hackett era song that he likes and has listened
to over the years.
Indeed. After all, the verses are in 5/4, which almost makes it prog - I'm
sure Steve loved it...
Newsgroups
2008-11-09 21:17:55 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Indeed. After all, the verses are in 5/4, which almost makes it prog - I'm
sure Steve loved it...
Understanding, of course, that Steve only likes prog and would never listen
to anything else. Lucky for him, he knows what is and isn't prog.
Mark Rae
Well, obviously! Just listen to GTR and the stuff he did with Brian May...
Newsgroups
Which must, perforce, all be prog. Who are we to argue?
Mark Rae
2008-11-10 01:15:48 UTC
Post by Newsgroups
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Newsgroups
Post by Mark Rae
Indeed. After all, the verses are in 5/4, which almost makes it prog -
I'm sure Steve loved it...
Understanding, of course, that Steve only likes prog and would never
listen to anything else. Lucky for him, he knows what is and isn't prog.
Well, obviously! Just listen to GTR and the stuff he did with Brian May...
Which must, perforce, all be prog. Who are we to argue?
Absolutely! When in the presence of greatness, and all that...

What's next, I wonder? That "The Brazilian" is about Kim Poor, maybe? Or
that Abacab isn't named after the song's sections while it was being
written, but actually refers to Phil's first wife's initials before she was
married, while she was married, and then after she was divorced...?
Somebody's bound to propound the nonsense that Tony and Steve hated each
other, and almost certainly still do...

Or something...
Chuck
2008-11-10 13:17:11 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
What's next, I wonder? That "The Brazilian" is about Kim Poor, maybe? Or
that Abacab isn't named after the song's sections while it was being
written, but actually refers to Phil's first wife's initials before she was
married, while she was married, and then after she was divorced...?
Somebody's bound to propound the nonsense that Tony and Steve hated each
other, and almost certainly still do...
Or something...
Did you know...
The Brazilian is about Kim Poor
Abacab is named after Phils first wife via initials
Tony and Steve hate each other
Mark Rae
I prostrate myself before usenet's greatest living comedian...
Chuck
2008-11-10 20:24:00 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
Post by Mark Rae
Or something...
Did you know...
The Brazilian is about Kim Poor
Abacab is named after Phils first wife via initials
Tony and Steve hate each other
I prostrate myself before usenet's greatest living comedian...
I just thought you were taking this all a little too seriously. No
harm meant.
CB
Steph_London
2008-12-10 15:37:10 UTC
Post by Chuck
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
Post by Mark Rae
Or something...
Did you know...
The Brazilian is about Kim Poor
Abacab is named after Phils first wife via initials
Tony and Steve hate each other
I prostrate myself before usenet's greatest living comedian...
I just thought you were taking this all a little too seriously. No
harm meant.
CB
the bit about abacab...is that true? I was told it was the chords to the
song!

s.
Mark Rae
2008-12-10 15:52:43 UTC
The bit about Abacab...is that true?
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=42023&dict=CALD
I was told it was the chords to the song!
<rolls eyes>

Nic
2008-11-12 07:43:29 UTC
Post by Chuck
Post by Mark Rae
What's next, I wonder? That "The Brazilian" is about Kim Poor, maybe? Or
that Abacab isn't named after the song's sections while it was being
written, but actually refers to Phil's first wife's initials before she was
married, while she was married, and then after she was divorced...?
Somebody's bound to propound the nonsense that Tony and Steve hated each
other, and almost certainly still do...
Or something...
Did you know...
The Brazilian is about Kim Poor
Abacab is named after Phils first wife via initials
Tony and Steve hate each other
I prostrate myself <snip>...
You can have a doctor do that for you. No need to do it yourself.

(By the way - great thread here particularly between you and Chuck)

nc
Godolphin&fellow
2008-11-13 11:33:40 UTC
Post by Chuck
Maybe its just a post Hackett era song that he likes and has listened
to over the years.
Indeed. After all, the verses are in 5/4, which almost makes it prog - I'm
sure Steve loved it...
Seems he kept up with his former band...heard the song often enough to
recall some lyrics
Proboscis
2008-11-18 02:56:33 UTC
For all we know the Billboard fellow just made it up himself...
Godolphin&fellow
2008-11-13 11:26:38 UTC
Post by Chuck
I think Steve puts it best....... Hackett adds that, "I think we
should do this before one of us dieshttp://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_i...
"I think they're the ones there's possibly more anticipation for,"
Banks says. "These albums have a reputation but they probably didn't
sell as many in the first place, so there's a feeling that they have a
chance to do something now."

Seems Tony's finally 'come around' on this... he's reassessed. In
interviews from a few years back he often seemed rather dismissive of
the relevance of the band's earliest fans, as if they were but a small
contingent of a much larger whole. And maybe they still are
proportionally, as far as fans reliving the past via the reunion
concerts.... Seems he realizes it's more the 70's fans for whom their
music still means something,
that they're not as likely among those 'fair weather friends' that
fell away after the string of hits disappeared from the radio.

"...a remastered version of his 1979 solo album "A Curious Feeling"
that he plans to release in 2009."

I'm glad I held off on that... in the last few months I was twice
tempted by seeing the old CD offered online for about $10.00
at a cheap price. - My copy of ACF is one of those few LPs I have
that, while occasionally played, has deteriorated to the point of
being almost unplayable now, for no apparent reason. Anyone else have
such LPs in their collection? SEbtP and Kansas Masque met a similar
fate.