This is my favorite Gentle Giant song (youtube)
amy
2008-12-07 04:15:45 UTC
Verry verry proggy:

Tim Hattrell
2008-12-07 17:38:51 UTC
Post by amy
Verry verry proggy: http://youtu.be/V5nBTvwYEww
Sounds more like Fairport Convention or Jethro Tull style English folk rock
than prog.
Paul Westcott
2008-12-08 01:20:56 UTC
"amy" wrote in message
Post by amy
Verry verry proggy: http://youtu.be/V5nBTvwYEww
Sounds more like Fairport Convention or Jethro Tull style English folk
rock than prog.
They've got to be prog. Look at that keyboard array :-)

Paul Westcott
ZEGREEB NOSPAM
2008-12-08 01:27:11 UTC
Fabulous PROGRESSIVE CLASSIC ROCK there !!! One
of the best harmonies in Prog are there ....Where is Folk ?
This have most to do with MOZART meeting Genesis and YEs
than Celtic or folk !!!
than prog.
Mark Rae
2008-12-08 01:47:19 UTC
Post by Tim Hattrell
Sounds more like Fairport Convention or Jethro Tull style English folk
rock than prog.
Where is folk ?
Have you actually heard the first few Jethro Tull albums...?

Or anything at all by Fairport Convention...?
Sal Video
2008-12-08 18:11:33 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Tim Hattrell
Sounds more like Fairport Convention or Jethro Tull style English folk
rock than prog.
Where is folk ?
Have you actually heard the first few Jethro Tull albums...?
Or anything at all by Fairport Convention...?
I believe the poster was referring to Tull's folk stage when they released
Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses.

The Gentle Giant song is definitely not a representation of prog rock in any
way. I happen to agree it's closer to English folk rock.
Mark Rae
2008-12-08 22:00:55 UTC
Post by Sal Video
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Tim Hattrell
Sounds more like Fairport Convention or Jethro Tull style English folk
rock than prog.
Where is folk ?
Have you actually heard the first few Jethro Tull albums...?
Or anything at all by Fairport Convention...?
I believe the poster was referring to Tull's folk stage when they released
Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses.
Yes, I realise that Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch are
generally considered by people who read Wikipedia and Chris Welch as Jethro
Tull's "folk rock trilogy", but listen to something like "We Used To Know"
from the second album - it could hardly be anything else, and not just
because of the circle of fifths! The fact that it contains an electric
guitar solo with lots of wah doesn't make it prog... Listen to "Gresford
Disaster" by The Albion Band or "Bring 'Em Down" by Fairport Convention...

And (forgive me) just coming back on-topic for a second, it was great to see
the interviews on the first box confirming that the band considers Trespass
as a folk-rock album...
amy
yes but you are a twat
Tim Hattrell
And you are the discharge from a twat
Steven Sullivan
2008-12-09 04:28:44 UTC
Post by Sal Video
--
-S
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can
woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their life -- Leo Tolstoy
NFLed
2009-01-09 00:03:20 UTC
Most stages of Genesis, Gentle Giant, and most stages of Jethro Tull
are all prog rock, trying to exlude them from being prog rock is not
reasonable in my view.

I was and am a huge fan of Gabriel-Genesis as well as a fan of the
next few albums after Lamb. I was am and a huge fan of Jethro Tull up
until Under Wraps (early 80's, I think). I had never heard Gentle
Giant until after being a big fan of Genesis and Jethro Tull and while
it took me awhile to follow their strange and funny ways Gentle Giant
(up until Giant for a Day) has joined those other two at the top of my
list. But I can't say to someone that if you liked one you would like
the other, they are each very different from each other and are
appealing in different ways.
Newsgroups
2009-01-09 06:54:43 UTC
Post by NFLed
Most stages of Genesis, Gentle Giant, and most stages of Jethro Tull
are all prog rock, trying to exlude them from being prog rock is not
reasonable in my view.
Yes. They should definitely be luded.

Jim
Godolphin&fellow
2009-01-10 09:54:48 UTC
Post by NFLed
Most stages of Genesis, Gentle Giant, and most stages of Jethro Tull
are all prog rock, trying to exlude them from being prog rock is not
reasonable in my view.
Yes.  They should definitely be luded.
Jim
They're definitely a form of prog rock. (Like King Crimson, overall a
bit too edgy and frantic to be my ultimate prog band.) I must admit
though the live youtube version this thread points to comes off
sounding as much like quarky folk music as progressive. - I've not
heard much of GG live... maybe they worked their complicated magic
better in the studio than in a live setting??
p***@gmail.com
2009-01-31 21:04:38 UTC
Gentle Giant have always been one of the Giants
of prog....ask any older progger.

I like a lot of their work. Turning Around was a hit
in the 70's:

Does anyone know if they doubled on the cello, violin
and flute often? Pretty amazing....were there any
extra musicians on that piece from the original post?
(no time today to sort through the rest of the live
shows on YouTube).

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net