TRICK OF THE TAIL - anyone know who is playing Phil for the Musical Box recreation of the album?
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-09-26 18:38:52 UTC
question:
Is the man (sorry, forgot his name) who plays in the second best
Genesis tribute band and is a SCARY duplicate of Phil 25 years ago
going to be Phil? I think the man who did Gabriel *could* do it -
but that left handed Phil-alike - if he is playing that show is going
to be fantastically mesmerizing - seriously.
I have tickets for the Jan 2-3 shows at The Keswick in my secondary
hometown of Philadelphia.

Thank you.

/Ian Andrew Schneider/
Chuck
2008-09-26 18:44:31 UTC
On Sep 26, 2:38�pm, Ian Andrew Schneider <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Denis Gagne (PG in the past) is playing Phil. Not sure if he is doing
drums as well or someone will step in as he exits. Check their
official site for clips.
CB
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-09-26 19:43:22 UTC
Post by Chuck
Denis Gagne (PG in the past) is playing Phil. Not sure if he is doing
drums as well or someone will step in as he exits. Check their
official site for clips.
CB
Thanks - I did and what a fiasco this is. I'm pissed off.
Respectfully, that dude can *barely* do Gabriel looking 47. That clip
is just pathetic compared to the sound which would be produced by [the
Phil-clone drummer/singer].

Ok, the album *was* written for Pete. But come on Denis, that beard
and hair merely draws attention to the band's Menido-ism. At least
New Kids On The Block kept the same lineup.

Is it good or bad that even the dumbed-down version of TMB is better
than any band now touring but for maybe 5 or 10? I don't know if I
like teh fact that rock, as Sting prematurely claimed in 1981 really
IS dead. Yes just announced a tour.

What does this say? To me, it says that while the end of teh Baby
Boom generation actually LISTENED to music and LEARNED TO PLAY A
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, Generation X [roduced at most 7 decent bands -
but beyond The Dave Matthews Band and Nirvana, nothing to me.
Generation Y is just massively confused and in general cannot tell
music from any other piece of noise pollution - not that the "war on
terror" had an effect (sarcastic). When your alcoholic cocaine
addicted AWOL during Vietnam "president" illegally declares wr on his
own, all laws were gone. In Latin - I forget the phrase but something
as: during a time of war, the law is suspended. SO we get superstars
from American Idol, like Aiken and carrie underwood and an obese
nation of passive observers watching deluded in grandiosity (takes one
to know one!) "contestants" sing theiri way into my soul, Screw the
Genesis boxset: taylor "american idol" hicks is touring.

Genesis lives, old rock lives, but only as a relic. Time to add
Debussy and Ravel - if ANDRE PREVIN would release such a boxset - such
music has more in common with genesis, yes, crimson, zappa, heck VAN
HALEN than the outrageous garbage that is around now. Never have I
heard two more desperate whining losers achieve fame based on their
good music: James Blount's suicide songs - he is a hair away from
stabbing himself to death, or so it sounds at the 778th assertion:
"You're Byououououououoououuotifulllllllll" ie, you would have nothing
to do with me, or, the biggest loser in music history, Tom Higgenson,
who stalked this deli;ah in the bushes as she ran track (TRUE), then
write a song demanding - "If you're [desperately lonely for me since I
am a huge rock star in New York City and you are stuck in our old home
town] GIVE THIS SONG ANOTHER LISTEN" in the Plain White T's "Hey There
Delilah" - why wasn't this stalker arrested and forced to sit in a
closed stidio listening to no one but james Blount, a capella, for 40
days, and, of course, 40 nights?

/ian/
Chuck
2008-09-26 20:46:18 UTC
Post by Chuck
Denis Gagne (PG in the past) is playing Phil. Not sure if he is doing
drums as well or someone will step in as he exits. Check their
official site for clips.
CB
Thanks - I did and what a fiasco this is. �I'm pissed off.
Respectfully, that dude can *barely* do Gabriel looking 47. �
<blank stare> Gabriel looking 47????? Denis was incredible doing PG
for the Foxtrot, Lamb and Selling tours. Tony Banks called him
"brilliant". While the others stated similar things about the show
with Phil and Steve appearing / playing with them.
CB
Mark Rae
Ah yes, but not *everyone* is of that opinion...
Covenant
2008-09-26 21:39:50 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Chuck
Post by Ian Andrew Schneider
Respectfully, that dude can *barely* do Gabriel looking 47.
<blank stare> Gabriel looking 47????? Denis was incredible doing PG
for the Foxtrot, Lamb and Selling tours. Tony Banks called him
"brilliant". While the others stated similar things about the show
with Phil and Steve appearing / playing with them.
Ah yes, but not *everyone* is of that opinion...
Lost...

Phil and Steve thought enough of them to play alongside them.
Tony said they were Brilliant.
Pete took his children to show them what their dad used to do

What did Mike say that must have been so horrendous??

(Cos beyond those 5, no-one else's opinion really matters !)

;' )
--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-09-27 08:08:25 UTC
On Sep 26, 5:39 pm, "Covenant"
Post by Covenant
Post by Mark Rae
Post by Ian Andrew Schneider
Respectfully, that dude can *barely* do Gabriel looking 47.
<blank stare>   Gabriel looking 47????? Denis was incredible doing PG
for the Foxtrot, Lamb and Selling tours. Tony Banks called him
"brilliant". While the others stated similar things about the show
with Phil and Steve appearing / playing with them.
Ah yes, but not *everyone* is of that opinion...
Lost...
Phil and Steve thought enough of them to play alongside them.
Tony said they were Brilliant.
Pete took his children to show them what their dad used to do
What did Mike say that must have been so horrendous??
(Cos beyond those 5, no-one else's opinion really matters !)
;' )
--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
my obtusitude. There are two guys that play Phil, right? The guy who
plays Phil when they did teh lamb recreation tour - THAT guy - he's
the one about whom I was asking. So - of those of you who know the
name of the musician who played the drums and backing (almost 2/5, it
sounded) vocals for the Lamb tour circa 2005. I was of the opinion
that if that was the gentleman who was going to play Phil, it might be
better than the guy who did Peter.

maybe that is the man who jumped ship, or was borrowed from, the
canadian turn it on again. the ones who did the 1982 recreation tour
- the excellent chopped keyboardist, great but equipment was outdated
and indeed broke down during the cage, right before the solo exposing
the relative weaknesses of the bassists and guitarist who in TMB are
NOTE perfect, as is TMB's keys man. in tioa teh rhythm section guys
sounded kinda easten european in their lack of groove when exposed
during the cage, So said, with the tioa Phil guy doing his "3 days in
Philadelphia" act, in, well, the Keswick Theater in Philadelphia, was
so good that with 1/2 a keyboardist and a man who was probably an ok
drummer but compared to Chester was very Jackson Browne on a Sunday
morning, which is not good for Genesis' Phil stuff that needs that
Chester ballsiness to really go.

Anyway, the vocalist is the most important person in the band - and
that clip didn't sound very good. I you don't think the vocalist
rules, talk to Trevor Horn, Ray Wilson and Jon Anderson - the first
two hard working but *just don't have it*, and Jon not being able top
not have it, as I'm sure Phil always knew that he's be remembered for
his vocals. The "Supper's Ready" on seconds out is still the best
recording I have ever heard, and while Steve is hitting some ecstatic
notes at the end, the rhythm changes actually work where 999 times of
1,000 a mix of even 3 of those sections would not work, Mike is the
same, Tony is the same, and Pete's words: "PHIL BRINGS SOMETHING TO
THE PIECE THAT I CANNOT." Pete could never sing the masterpiece he
wrote (but for that one benefit you are not supposed to know about)
after Phil learned to sing during the Trick Tour because no one has
topped Phil's vocals on as sure as eggs is eggs. Key to it all, of
course, the bass pedal drones - doesn't work without the Scottish (to
american ears) flavor.

In fact, Obama won the debate tonight using an Ab as his tonic/drone,
which works very well. You can just put a guitar tuner or an iPhone
up to the tv - I'm not kidding. barack would get into a 58.3333333
hertz groove, and while he showed he knew nothing, his confidence in
the face of dire crisis was infectious. The scared mcvcain's keys
were all over the place.
Chuck
2008-09-27 09:49:15 UTC
On Sep 27, 4:08�am, Ian Andrew Schneider <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Martin Levac (Phil) would have been a better Phil for this Trick tour.
He left to persue his 'Turn it on Again' band doing the 82 summer
tour. I was 12 y/o and never saw a Gen show until 1980. I will readily
go to see TMB do it with Gagne... apart from invention of a time
machine, this will be as good as it gets.(live)
CB
Umberto
2008-09-29 09:57:25 UTC
I do not agree with you regarding the fact that Supper's Ready is better
when Phil is the singer. I feel MUCH more emotion when Peter sings that
piece of music (which he thinks is the one for which he feels most
identified, together with the lamb album). When he says "PHIL BRINGS
SOMETHING TO THE PIECE THAT I CANNOT" he is underestimating himself; and
definitely the live/theatrical performance of Peter cannot be compared
at all with the Phil's one.
american ears) flavor.
Chuck
2008-09-30 09:23:55 UTC
Post by Umberto
I do not agree with you regarding the fact that Supper's Ready is better
when Phil is the singer.
Agreed. The sound is great on SO, drums etc, but Pete's version is the
one I listen to when I'm craving a good Supper :-)
CB
Ian Andrew Schneider
2008-10-01 21:15:29 UTC
Post by Chuck
Post by Umberto
I do not agree with you regarding the fact that Supper's Ready is better
when Phil is the singer.
Agreed. The sound is great on SO, drums etc, but Pete's version is the
one I listen to when I'm craving a good Supper :-)
CB
here is a song that there is no way Phil could do at all: Family
Snapshot. I used the Apple Genius (which is pretty genius) and that
song came up. I literally was transported in time to being a kid in a
hotel in Sebring, Florida. Many of the Sercret World Live songs, if
not most, are uniquely perfectly Peter. He has a tone to his voice
that fits songs Humdrum, San Jacinto and his best solo pop hit radio
song, Don't Give Up, where if Phil sang it you'd be like - dude,
enough! So said, especially with the Rapture (or extinction - whatever
you believe), the ethereal performance by Pjil of " as sure as eggs is
eggs " more than stands up after 31 years. The two best multi
sectional contemporay songs are Stairway To Heaven and Suppers Ready,
followed by Close To the edge and a bunchbof other Yes and Genesis
songs (IN MY OPINION - difference of taste makes music what it is. If
we all had the same tastes in, say, clothes or beauty, we'd be
Stepford humans).
To me, if there is a rapture (my "wacky" love of the Rev Acc To St
John), when there is music coming outbofvthe sky instead of the
hydrogen bomb that was aimed at your head (my head!), the music will
be Chester slamming away, Hackett with his most subtle greatest riggs
ever, mike in full bass Pedal life, tony on mellotrn playing like
Bach, and phil singing as sure as eggs is eggs.

I'm OLD. 45. So I saw phil when he was able to do that song and get
into Angel Gabriel mode, by irony. For you nonChristians, angel
Gabriel speaks for god, the one who told Mary to let it be

/Ian Andrew Schneider/

Chuck
2008-09-27 09:46:06 UTC
On Sep 26, 5:39�pm, "Covenant"
Post by Covenant
What did Mike say that must have been so horrendous??
Rutherford attended a show in England and had nothing but high praise;
he joked when asked if it was as good as the original; "it was
better".
CB
Covenant
2008-09-27 19:23:37 UTC
"Chuck" <***@aol.com> wrote in message news:36edbf2d-04c7-43dd-bda6-***@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 26, 5:39?pm, "Covenant"
Post by Covenant
What did Mike say that must have been so horrendous??
Rutherford attended a show in England and had nothing but high praise;
he joked when asked if it was as good as the original; "it was
better".
CB

;' )

I know MIke never said anything bad about them.. and I knew he has praised
them, but I couldn;t lay hands on any quote in the 30 seconds I decided to
post in !

;' )
Chuck
2008-09-27 09:44:34 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Ah yes, but not *everyone* is of that opinion...
LOL *everyone* does not share the same opinion of anything.
My friend went to see Bruce Spigsteen here in NJ this summer and
thought he sucked <gasp> Wow, I didn't even know it was legal to say
such a thing here in joysey. :-)
CB
Covenant
2008-09-27 19:24:03 UTC
Post by Mark Rae
Ah yes, but not *everyone* is of that opinion...
LOL *everyone* does not share the same opinion of anything.
My friend went to see Bruce Spigsteen here in NJ this summer and
thought he sucked <gasp> Wow, I didn't even know it was legal to say
such a thing here in joysey. :-)
CB

S'okay.. Springsteen's always sucked....

;' )
--
Covenant
A Man Who Just Don;t Like Him...
progea
2008-09-27 13:06:27 UTC
Post by Ian Andrew Schneider
Yes just announced a tour.
Actually, they had cancelled it in the summer due to Jon's illness.
Now, however, they will tour as Howe Squire White plus Oliver Wakeman
and Benoit David even though TicketBastard lists it as Yes.
Chuck
2008-09-27 15:19:06 UTC
Post by progea
Actually, they had cancelled it in the summer due to Jon's illness.
Now, however, they will tour as Howe Squire White plus Oliver Wakeman
and Benoit David even though TicketBastard lists it as Yes.
I believe that will be what thy are billed... "Yes". Geez, I'm
defending ticket bastard. whodathunk
CB
progea
2008-09-28 14:41:51 UTC
Post by Chuck
Post by progea
Actually, they had cancelled it in the summer due to Jon's illness.
Now, however, they will tour as Howe Squire White plus Oliver Wakeman
and Benoit David even though TicketBastard lists it as Yes.
I believe that will be what thy are billed... "Yes". Geez, I'm
defending ticket bastard. whodathunk
CB
They were originally billed as Yes but now it's either way. Or, as how
people in alt.music.yes say "Something's going on"

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Howe-Squire-White-of-Yes-tickets/artist/1261256