Is Banks Quoting from Felix Mendelssohn in the Piano Intro to TLLDOB?
progea
2009-02-22 14:28:33 UTC
What do you hear in the Overture, Op. 21 to the Incidental Music to "A
Midsummer Night's Dream"? Was this known before?
Man
2009-02-24 23:07:35 UTC
Are you referring to the first theme after the four chords by the wind
instruments at the very beginning? I didn't really get a sense of connection
there... Maybe posting an mp3 of the section in question on YouTube?

progea
2009-02-25 03:22:30 UTC
Post by Man
Are you referring to the first theme after the four chords by the wind
instruments at the very beginning? I didn't really get a sense of connection
there... Maybe posting an mp3 of the section in question on YouTube?
Indeed.
0:28 - 1:20
repeated throughout. Not the best sound or playing.

There are other illustrated audfio clips on YouTube.
Man
2009-02-25 11:10:54 UTC
Okay, that was what I thought... I think I can understand where you might
have thought Banks got the opening riff to TLLDOB from that. It sounds kinda
similar to me, but not a note-for-note lifting of the entire theme... Nice
try, though...
Indeed. http://youtu.be/IidttSEKVTA 0:28 - 1:20