New live Box
Jim Brown
2009-09-19 14:21:23 UTC
Got mine this morning. Nice and clear mastering on the earlier stuff,
Genesis Live & Rainbow are a treat. The 5.1 live Lamb tracks are well done
(what happened to SACD this time? DTS only?) Seconds Out still has the best
sounding Supper ever...I was hoping that Steve would be a bit higher in the
mix, but not noticeable so.
The later stuff, is just the later stuff. I don't notice a lot of
improvement, but to be honest, I have only dipped in and out of it so far.
According to the sleeve notes - Tony says "this is it" there is nothing else
left. The soundboards may see the light of day via the web site, but he does
not think they are of good enough quality for general release.
jonny
2009-09-20 10:01:50 UTC
Post by Jim Brown
Got mine this morning. Nice and clear mastering on the earlier stuff,
Genesis Live & Rainbow are a treat. The 5.1 live Lamb tracks are well done
(what happened to SACD this time? DTS only?) Seconds Out still has the best
sounding Supper ever...I was hoping that Steve would be a bit higher in the
mix, but not noticeable so.
The later stuff, is just the later stuff. I don't notice a lot of
improvement, but to be honest, I have only dipped in and out of it so far.
According to the sleeve notes - Tony says "this is it" there is nothing else
left. The soundboards may see the light of day via the web site, but he does
not think they are of good enough quality for general release.
Mike was interviewed about it on DAB station Planet Rock on Saturday
night (Rob Birnie 19:00-20:00), but unfortunately I missed it.

http://www.planetrock.com/saturday.html

Hopefully it will show up on the Listen Again Player soon.

http://planetrock.radica.com/listen-again.htm
Mark Rae
2009-09-22 13:00:03 UTC
Post by Jim Brown
Got mine this morning. Nice and clear mastering on the earlier stuff,
Genesis Live & Rainbow are a treat. The 5.1 live Lamb tracks are well done
(what happened to SACD this time? DTS only?) Seconds Out still has the
best sounding Supper ever...I was hoping that Steve would be a bit higher
in the mix, but not noticeable so.
The later stuff, is just the later stuff. I don't notice a lot of
improvement, but to be honest, I have only dipped in and out of it so far.
According to the sleeve notes - Tony says "this is it" there is nothing
else left. The soundboards may see the light of day via the web site, but
he does not think they are of good enough quality for general release.
Regrettably, Live and Seconds Out suffer the same lack of Mellotron as the
other boxes - one can only imagine, on Tony's instruction, since he was with
Nick Davis at The Farm throughout the whole process.

The strings at the end of Apocalypse are virtually inaudible, as is the
choir in Afterglow, both being *completely* buried under the phased
Hammond - the comparison with the vinyl versions of Live and Seconds Out
really highlights this.

The brass at the end of Hogweed and As Sure as Eggs is Eggs is, effectively,
missing.

The Tron is there, obviously, when there's nothing else, but even the
Watcher intro has lost its sparkle and oomph! At the end of the track, the
mixed Mk II brass and strings are once again completely buried under the mix
until, miraculously, at 7:27, it jumps back to life - you can actually hear
it being faded up!!!

Other than that, though, everything else is superbly crisp and clear -
they've simply mixed the Tron out of Live and Seconds Out. What on earth
were they thinking...?

Massively disappointed... :-(

Thank God they haven't done the same with Live at the Rainbow or the extra
Lamb tracks...