NDV does The Lamb
Jeff A.
2008-09-27 20:12:36 UTC
Copied from
alt.music.mike-keneally

***@gmail.com

***************************************************************************8

Sorry if this news is a little old. Looks like Nick D'Virgilio has
recorded the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in its entirety on a new
project with a Nashville area producer named Mark Hornsby.

http://www.progrockrecords.com/artists/view.php?id=104
(info on "Rewiring Genesis" and mp3 of Slipperman)

http://www.myspace.com/ndvmusic
(Slipperman sample - also a nice sample of Sound Chaser from a recent
Jordan Rudess ablum with Nick on vocals)
Jeff A.
2008-09-27 20:13:45 UTC
Here's a sneak peak too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVWF8NRC5_o

Jeff A.
2008-09-28 00:42:47 UTC
errr......peek.

Covenant
2008-09-29 20:01:40 UTC
Wasn;t it a high point then ??

;' ))))))))))

--
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Sal Video
2008-09-30 15:29:50 UTC
Someone needs to inform this guy that just because he was in the final joke
version of "Genesis" that was an utter failure, doesn't mean he has to spend
his career recording old Genesis songs.

progea
2008-09-30 18:06:15 UTC
On Sep 30, 11:29 am, "Sal Video" <***@access.com> wrote:

> Someone needs to inform this guy that just because he was in the final joke
> version of "Genesis" that was an utter failure, doesn't mean he has to spend
> his career recording old Genesis songs.

Yesterday, Anthony Drennan bulletined and also posted a few clips of
the tour of ten years ago on his MySpace site

http://www.myspace.com/antodrennan

To me, it looks like it's Nir Z on drums in those clips. So I can't
stop thinking of one's "outdrumming" the other on CAS.

Maybe some in what Anto Drennan calls "the b team" in that bulletin
are nostalgic about that time. Maybe, in doing such things,
remembering those times or re-creating songs, it's some in "the b
team"'s way of wondering "What if we had been able to do more than
that together at that time?" Or, maybe, yes, indeed, re-creating songs
is some in "the b team"'s way of capitalizing on the fame of
circumstances of that time and on the fame of chances they had at that
time. I am aware of Ray Wilson's memories of that time, though. I am
also aware how Nir Z, although having fond memories of that time and
having "outdrummed" 'the other' on CAS, has moved on and what he's
done musically since then.
p***@gmail.com
2008-10-07 22:10:14 UTC
On Sep 30, 11:06 am, progea <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 30, 11:29 am, "Sal Video" <***@access.com> wrote:
>
> > Someone needs to inform this guy that just because he was in the final joke
> > version of "Genesis" that was an utter failure, doesn't mean he has to spend
> > his career recording old Genesis songs.
>
> Yesterday, Anthony Drennan bulletined and also posted a few clips of
> the tour of ten years ago on his MySpace site
>
>  http://www.myspace.com/antodrennan
>
> To me, it looks like it's Nir Z on drums in those clips. So I can't
> stop thinking of one's "outdrumming" the other on CAS.
>
> Maybe some in what Anto Drennan calls "the b team" in that bulletin
> are nostalgic about that time. Maybe, in doing such things,
> remembering those times or re-creating songs, it's some in "the b
> team"'s way of wondering "What if we had been able to do more than
> that together at that time?" Or, maybe, yes, indeed, re-creating songs
> is some in "the b team"'s way of capitalizing on the fame of
> circumstances of that time and on the fame of chances they had at that
> time. I am aware of Ray Wilson's memories of that time, though. I am
> also aware how Nir Z, although having fond memories of that time and
> having "outdrummed" 'the other' on CAS, has moved on and what he's
> done musically since then.

Perhaps you aren't really familiar with Nick D'Virgilio as a drummer
for Mike Keneally, Tears For Fears, Spocks Beard, his numerous drum
clinics and other guest spots as well as an upcoming cover on Modern
Drummer. He's been passionate about Genesis since he was a young man
and would have done this whether he had been on the last Genesis album
or not.

There are now audio samples of each track up and available at
http://www.progrockrecords.com/shop/view.php?id=175 it really came out
amazing.
Mark Rae
2008-10-07 22:20:22 UTC
<***@gmail.com> wrote in message

> There are now audio samples of each track up and available at
> http://www.progrockrecords.com/shop/view.php?id=175 it really came out
> amazing.

You are joking, obviously. Either that, or you have no idea of what you're
hearing.

The keyboard sounds on Fly on a Windshield are just awful! Sounds like they
were played on a child's Casio. And don't get me started on all the wrong
notes.

I couldn't bring myself to listen to any more...
p***@gmail.com
2008-10-08 19:18:40 UTC

seriously, you are delusional.
Mark Rae
2008-10-08 20:58:50 UTC

Can you *honestly* not hear the wrong notes...?
Steve Turner
2008-10-08 21:19:10 UTC
***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 7, 3:20 pm, "Mark Rae" <***@markNOSPAMrae.me.uk> wrote:
>> <***@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> There are now audio samples of each track up and available at
>>> http://www.progrockrecords.com/shop/view.php?id=175it really came out
>>> amazing.
>> You are joking, obviously. Either that, or you have no idea of what you're
>> hearing.
>>
>> The keyboard sounds on Fly on a Windshield are just awful! Sounds like they
>> were played on a child's Casio. And don't get me started on all the wrong
>> notes.
>>
>> I couldn't bring myself to listen to any more...
>
> seriously, you are delusional.

Take this new album back with you to 1975 and play it side by side with
the original, listening to each one with a fresh ear (and no prior
knowledge of either band) and tell me which one you'd be listening to
30+ years later? This album is only mildly interesting to hear as an
"interpretation" of the Lamb (if, as Mark says, you can stomach all the
stinky notes), but I couldn't see myself listening to it more than once.
And what's up with all these Genesis tribute drummers who can't even
come _close_ to a proper drum sound like what Phil used to get? The
tunings are always so wrong and the tone so stifled and sterile.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Covenant
2008-10-08 21:35:47 UTC
"Steve Turner" <***@swtacobell.net> wrote in message
> ***@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 3:20 pm, "Mark Rae" <***@markNOSPAMrae.me.uk> wrote:
>>> <***@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> You are joking, obviously. Either that, or you have no idea of what
>>> you're
>>> hearing.
>>>
>>> The keyboard sounds on Fly on a Windshield are just awful! Sounds like
>>> they
>>> were played on a child's Casio. And don't get me started on all the
>>> wrong
>>> notes.
>>>
>>> I couldn't bring myself to listen to any more...
>>
>> seriously, you are delusional.
>
> Take this new album back with you to 1975 and play it side by side with
> the original, listening to each one with a fresh ear (and no prior
> knowledge of either band) and tell me which one you'd be listening to 30+
> years later? This album is only mildly interesting to hear as an
> "interpretation" of the Lamb (if, as Mark says, you can stomach all the
> stinky notes), but I couldn't see myself listening to it more than once.
> And what's up with all these Genesis tribute drummers who can't even come
> _close_ to a proper drum sound like what Phil used to get? The tunings
> are always so wrong and the tone so stifled and sterile.

What gets me is that it is touted as being a *more theatrical* verison....

WHA' !?!?!?!!?

Newsgroups
2008-10-08 22:57:11 UTC
"Mark Rae" <***@markNOSPAMrae.me.uk> wrote in message

> The keyboard sounds on Fly on a Windshield are just awful! Sounds like
> they were played on a child's Casio.

Or stock sounds off a cheap DAW bundle.

> And don't get me started on all the wrong notes.
>
> I couldn't bring myself to listen to any more...

You really ought to try Grand Parade. <shudder>

Overall, the tracks sound like a basement rehash without a shred of
inspiration or creativity. I'm literally still wincing over the phoned-in
vocal "stylings." All that was lyrical in the original tracks has been
crushed out of these.

And really, why bother? If the man is "passionate" about Genesis, he could
at least have offered us a reinterpretation rather than a lame fanboy
effort.

Didn't someone predict this would be a complete waste of time? Seems that
about sums it up.

Jim
Mark Rae
2008-10-09 00:09:29 UTC
"Newsgroups" <***@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>> The keyboard sounds on Fly on a Windshield are just awful! Sounds like
>> they were played on a child's Casio.
>
> Or stock sounds off a cheap DAW bundle.

Either way...

>> And don't get me started on all the wrong notes.
>>
>> I couldn't bring myself to listen to any more...
>
> You really ought to try Grand Parade. <shudder>

ROTFLMAO! That's even worse! What exactly is wrong with the keyboard
player...?

> Overall, the tracks sound like a basement rehash without a shred of
> inspiration or creativity. I'm literally still wincing over the phoned-in
> vocal "stylings." All that was lyrical in the original tracks has been
> crushed out of these.

That anyone (presumably, in all seriousness) can describe this pile of
garbage as "awesome" is really baffling...

> And really, why bother? If the man is "passionate" about Genesis, he
> could at least have offered us a reinterpretation rather than a lame
> fanboy effort.

And involved some decent musicians with some decent instruments...

> Didn't someone predict this would be a complete waste of time? Seems that
> about sums it up.

Indeed. But there will be people who will lap it up like it's the greatest
thing they've ever heard, simply because they can't tell the difference...
Newsgroups
2008-10-09 02:17:48 UTC

>> Didn't someone predict this would be a complete waste of time? Seems
>> that about sums it up.
>
> Indeed. But there will be people who will lap it up like it's the greatest
> thing they've ever heard, simply because they can't tell the difference...

Perhaps they, then, are the target market. :-)

Jim
Slubberdegullion
2008-10-17 13:07:20 UTC
Newsgroups wrote:
> "Mark Rae" <***@markNOSPAMrae.me.uk> wrote in message
>
>>> Didn't someone predict this would be a complete waste of time? Seems
>>> that about sums it up.
>> Indeed. But there will be people who will lap it up like it's the greatest
>> thing they've ever heard, simply because they can't tell the difference...
>
> Perhaps they, then, are the target market. :-)
>
> Jim

LOL- its weird that anyone would cover that entire album of all albums.
Especially as its probably the only Gabriel era album that still sounds
fantastic...production wise and not too dated...other than the
gorgeously analogue synth sounds...

It is a shitey attempt...apart from disturbed and the occasional
heartstring plucked by Daryl S - cant really recall any good Genesis
covers...